Life as a House
Life as a House is a 2001 film about a man who, after is diagnosed with terminal cancer, takes custody of his misanthropic teenage son, for whom quality time means getting high, engaging in small-time prostitution, and avoiding his father.
George Monroe 
- Sam, if you were a house, you would want to be built on rock over-looking the sea.
- I put a gun to my father's head once. Ever think like that? He was passed out. Had just been yelling at my mom over nothing. Under-cooked meat. I went to my room, I held the barrel right up to his ear, and then I chickened out again. Of course it was a BB gun but still it would have hurt like hell
- You know the great thing, though, is that change can be so constant you don't even feel the difference until there is one. It can be so slow that you don't even notice that your life is better or worse, until it is. Or it can just blow you away, make you something different in an instant. It happened to me.
- I always thought of myself as a house. I was always what I lived in. It didn't need to be big. It didn't even need to be beautiful. It just needed to be mine. I became what I was meant to be. I built myself a life. I built myself a house.
- Do I still love you? Absolutely. There is not a doubt in my mind. Through all my mind, my ego... I was always faithful in my love for you. That I made you doubt it, that is the great mistake of a life full of mistakes. The truth doesn't set us free, Robin. I can tell you I love you as many times as you can stand to hear it and all that does, the only thing, is remind us... that love is not enough. Not even close.
Sam Monroe 
- Thank you for talking about me behind my back - that'll be useful in court.
- I think there has to be a door between where you cook and where you crap. Even in the bush - tribal people, you know, they have a place for both. Probably it's like a law. God! It's probably in the Bible. It's at least a building code violation.
- Why can't you all just die and leave me alone?
- Robin: Oh, I dreamed about your house last night.
- George: Finished or unfinished?
- Robin: It was perfect George. Amazing.
- George: Didn't you once dream that you could lick people well?
- George: Take that thumbtack out of your chin.
- Sam: Why?
- George: It bugs me!
- Sam: You snore at night. That really bugs me. Can I take you out?
- Sam: What's wrong with your back? Do you have to have surgery on it or what? Because those pills you are taking are for a lot of pain. And you seem to be going though them pretty quick, that's all.
- George: You're not still taking any, are you?
- Sam: No. But I count them. In a sock isn't exactly new, you know.
- George: I'm having a problem with cancer.
- Sam: I don't know what that means. What kind of problem?
- George: The kind where there isn't any answer.
- Sam: I still don't know what it means.
- George: Sam I wanted us to... You know, spend a few months together. Here. Sometimes things happen for a reason. Something bad to force something good.
- Sam: So you're dying. And you told mom today. Fuck you, ok fuck you. You knew you were dying from the start?
- George: We're all dying from the start. I just got pushed to the head of the line.
- Sam: But you lied to me.
- George: I would've lied to myself if I thought I'd believe it.
- Sam: So this whole thing... this whole summer, having me here, was for your sake. You selfish fuck. Having me here trying to get me to like you.
- George: No, Sam I wasn't trying to get you to like me. I was trying to get you to love me.
- Sam: Well, congratulations... Because you fucking pulled it off.
- Sam: I've been using since I was 12! You're also unbelievably stupid, you know that? You didn't give a shit about anything I did up until now!
- George: Well, I'll apologize for everything but today! Today I give a shit!
- Sam: I like how it feels to not feel.
- George: I know the feeling.
- Seen from a distance, it's perfect.
- Kevin Kline - George Monroe
- Kristin Scott Thomas - Robin Kimball
- Hayden Christensen - Sam Monroe
- Jena Malone - Alyssa Beck
- Mary Steenburgen - Colleen Beck
- Jamey Sheridan - Peter Kimball
- Ian Somerhalder - Josh
- Scott Bakula - Kurt Walker
- Sam Robards - David Dokos
- John Pankow - Bryan Burke
- Mike Weinberg - Adam Kimball
- Scotty Leavenworth - Ryan Kimball