- Dying together's even more personal than living together.
- We're not like you! You're made of iron, we're just flesh and blood! Hungry and thirsty flesh and blood!
- [to the delirious Gus] There's Rosie! She's waiting for you! [Willy pushes Gus overboard]
Charles D. 'Ritt' Rittenhouse
- [seeing a bejewelled Connie in a fur coat as he enters the lifeboat] Connie! Did you come from the freighter or the Stork Club?
- My name is Schmidt, but I changed it to Smith. That's what I got against these guys more than anything else. They make me ashamed of the name I was born with. I got a lot of relatives in Germany. For all I know this guy may be one of them. I say throw him to the sharks!
- Connie Porter: [speaking of the disaster] Reminds me of an air raid once that hit me in Chunking.
- John Kovac: Reminds me of a slaughterhouse I once worked in in Chicago. Those Nazi buzzards - a tin fish ain't enough. They've got to shell us too!
- Gus Smith: [referring to Willie] A guy can't help being a German if he's born a German, can he?
- John Kovac: Neither can a snake help being a rattlesnake if he's born a rattlesnake! That don't make him a nightingale! Get him out of here!
- John Kovac: As of now I'm skipper, and anybody who don't like it can get out and swim to Bermuda. What about that?
- Gus Smith: I'll buy it.
- Stanley 'Sparks' Garrett: Suits me. What about you, Miss?
- Alice MacKenzie: I'm for it.
- George 'Joe' Spencer: Yes, sir!
- Charles D. 'Ritt' Rittenhouse: Well, if the rest agree.
- Connie Porter: All right, Commissar, what's the course?
- Willy: [fixing her diamond bracelet] Looks like bits of ice.
- Connie Porter: I wish they were.
- Willy: They're really nothing but a few pieces of carbon crystallized under high pressure at great heat.
- Connie Porter: Quite so, if you want to be scientific about it.
- Willy: I'm a great believer in science.
- Connie Porter: Like tears, for instance. They're nothing but H2O with a trace of sodium chloride.
- Who goes Primitive first...A man...Or a woman...adrift in an open boat?
- What happens when six men and three women are alone in an open boat?
- Six men and three women - against the sea and each other.
- Tallulah Bankhead - Constance "Connie" Porter
- William Bendix - Gus Smith
- Walter Slezak - Willi
- Mary Anderson - Alice MacKenzie
- John Hodiak - John Kovac
- Henry Hull - Charles D. "Ritt" Rittenhouse
- Heather Angel - Mrs. Higgins
- Hume Cronyn - Stanley "Sparks" Garrett
- Canada Lee - George "Joe" Spencer
- William Yetter Jr. - German sailor