Proverbs from all Marathi speaking parts of the world.
- The remedy is worse than the cure.
- English equivalent: The remedy is often worse than the disease; Burn not your house to rid it off the mouse.
- Source: Manwaring, Alfred (1899). Marathi proverbs. The Clarendon press. Yiddishn kultur-kongres. p. 114.
- जस्यास तसे
- Transliteration: Jasyas tase.
- Literal: Tit for Tat
- गाढवासमोर वाचली गीता आणि कालचा गोंधळ बरा होता.
- Meaning: Explaining to a fool has no use whatsoever.
- दुरून डोंगर साजरे.
- English equivalent: The grass is always green on the other side.
- Meaning: A person always thinks the other's situation to be better.
- उथळ पाण्याला खळखळाट फार.
- English equivalent: Empty vessels make more sound.
- Meaning: Those with little knowledge keep showing it. Those who know all are calm/silent.