Martha Jones is a fictional character played by Freema Agyeman in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. A traveling companion to the tenth incarnation of the Doctor, she later appeared in the spin-off series, Torchwood.
- I travelled across the world. From the ruins of New York, to the fusion mills of China, right across the radiation pits of Europe. And everywhere I went I saw people just like you, living as slaves! But if Martha Jones became a legend then that's wrong, because my name isn't important. There's someone else. The man who sent me out there, the man who told me to walk the Earth. And his name is The Doctor. He has saved your lives so many times and you never even knew he was there. He never stops. He never stays. He never asks to be thanked. But I've seen him, I know him... I love him... And I know what he can do.
- Last of the Time Lords [3.13]
- I spent a lot of time with you thinking I was second best. But you know what? I am good.
- Last of the Time Lords [3.13]
- You need to be careful, because you know the Doctor's wonderful and he's brilliant, but he's like fire. Stand too close and people get burned.
- The Sontaran Stratagem [4.4]
Dialogue with others
Family of Blood [3.9]
- Martha: I know it sounds mad, but when the Doctor became human, he took the alien part of himself and he stored it inside the watch. It's not really a watch, it just looks like a watch.
- Joan: And alien means not from abroad, I take it.
- Martha: The man you call John Smith, he was born on another world.
- Joan: A different species.
- Martha: Yeah.
- Joan: Then tell me. In this fairy tale, who are you?
- Martha: Just a friend. I'm not. I mean, you haven't got a rival, as much as I might. Just his friend.
- Joan: And human, I take it?
- Martha: Human. Don't worry. And more than that, I just don't follow him around. I'm training to be a doctor. Not an alien doctor, a proper doctor. A doctor of medicine.
- Joan: Well that certainly is nonsense. Women might train to be doctors, but hardly a skivvy and hardly one of your colour.
- Martha: Oh, do you think? Bones of the hand. Carpal bones, proximal row. Scaphoid, lunate, triquetal, pisiform. Distal row. Trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, hamate. Then the metacarpal bones extending in three distinct phalanges. Proximal, middle, distal.
- Joan: You read that in a book.
- Martha: Yes, to pass my exams!
- Captain Jack: [to Martha] Captain Jack Harkness... and who are you?
- Martha: Martha Jones.
- Captain Jack: Nice to meet you, Martha Jones.
- The Doctor: [Irritated] Oh, don't start!
- Captain Jack: I was only saying 'hello'!
- Martha: [flattered] I don't mind.
- Martha: But the thing is, why'd you leave him behind, Doctor?
- The Doctor: [dismissively] I was busy.
- Martha: Is that what happens though, seriously? You just get bored of us one day and disappear?
- Captain Jack: Not if you're blonde.
- Martha: [sarcastically] Oh, she was blonde! Oh, what a surprise!
- The Doctor: [spinning around, irritated] You two, we're at the end of the universe. Okay?! Right at the edge of knowledge itself! And you're busy... [struggling to find the right word] blogging!!