(Redirected from Matrix)
- I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries; a world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
- I know kung-fu.
- Yeah. Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may have a better one. How about, I give you the finger [He does] and you give me my phone call.
- There is no spoon
- Guns.. lots of guns...
- My name … is NEO!
- You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
- Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.
- What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
- Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.
- I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
- Have you ever had a dream Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world, and the real world?
- Stop trying to hit me and hit me!
- Welcome…to the desert of the real.
- Don't think you are, know you are.
- '"You think that’s air you're breathing now ?"'
- Dodge this. [shoots Agent at point-blank range]
- I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?
- It seems that you've been living two lives. In one life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.
- Tell me Mr. Anderson... what good is a phone call... if you're unable to speak?
- Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world, where none suffered, where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program, entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world, but I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization. I say your civilization, because as soon as we started thinking for you it really became our civilization, which is of course what this is all about. Evolution, Morpheus, evolution. Like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You've had your time. The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time.
- I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops an equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet; you are a plague and we are the cure.
- I'm going to be honest with you. I hate this place. This zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell-if there is such a thing-I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear I have somehow been infected by it- it's repulsive! Isn't it? I must get out of here. I must get free...and in this mind is the key, my key. Once Zion is destroyed, there is no need for me to be here. Do you understand?! I need the codes, I have to get inside Zion and you have to tell me how. You're going to tell me, or you're going to die!
- Good bye, Mr. Anderson.
- Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon - that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth.
- Neo: What truth?
- Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
- Neo: There is no spoon?
- Spoon boy: Then you will see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
[First lines of the movie] [Phone rings]
- Cypher: [Answers] Yeah?
- Trinity: Is everything in place?
- Cypher: You weren't supposed to relieve me.
- Trinity: I know, but I felt like taking a shift.
- Cypher: You like him. You like watching him.
- Trinity: Don't be ridiculous.
- Cypher: We're going to kill him, you understand?
- Trinity: Morpheus believes he is The One.
- Cypher: Do you?
- Trinity: Doesn't matter what I believe.
- Cypher: You don't, do you? [A light chirp is heard]
- Trinity: Did you hear that?
- Cypher: Hear what?
- Trinity: Are you sure this line is clean?
- Cypher: Yeah, of course I'm sure.
- Trinity:...I better go. [Hangs up]
- Trinity: I know why you're here, Neo. I know what you've been doing … why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit at your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.
- Neo: What is the Matrix?
- Trinity: The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.
- Trinity: Please Neo, you have to trust me.
- Neo: Why?
- Trinity: Because you have been down there Neo, you know that road, you know exactly where it ends. And I know that's not where you want to be.
- [Trinity has brought Neo to meet Morpheus]
- Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
- Neo: You could say that.
- Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?
- Neo: No.
- Morpheus: Why not?
- Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
- Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?
- Neo: The Matrix.
- Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?
- Neo: Yes.
- Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work… when you go to church… when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
- Neo: What truth?
- Morpheus: [leans in closer to Neo] That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch. A prison for your mind.
- Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. [Opens a pillbox, empties the contents into his palms, and outstretches his hands] This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill [opens his right hand, to reveal a translucent blue pill], the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill [opens his left hand, revealing a similarly translucent red pill], you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. [Neo reaches for the red pill] Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.
- Morpheus: The pill you took is part of a trace program. It's designed to disrupt your input/output carrier signal so we can pinpoint your location.
- Neo: What does that mean?
- Cypher: It means buckle your seat belt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye.
- [Neo and Morpheus are walking down a street in the Matrix]
- Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Business men, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. [At this point, Neo's attention is drawn to a passing attractive woman wearing a red dress] Were you listening to me, Neo, or were you looking at the woman in the red dress?
- Neo: I was …
- Morpheus: Look again. [Neo looks again. The woman has instantly turned into Agent Smith, pointing a gun at his head] Freeze it. [Everyone on the screen freezes in time]
- Neo: This … this isn't the Matrix?
- Morpheus: No. It's another training program designed to teach you one thing: if you are not one of us, you are one of them.
- Neo: What are they?
- Morpheus: Sentient programs. They can move in and out of any software still hard-wired to their system. That means that anyone we haven't unplugged is potentially an Agent. Inside the Matrix, they are everyone and they are no one. We have survived by hiding from them, by running from them, but they are the gatekeepers. They are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys, which means that sooner or later, someone is going to have to fight them.
- Neo: Someone?
- Morpheus: I won't lie to you, Neo. Every single man or woman who has stood their ground, everyone who has fought an agent has died. But where they have failed, you will succeed.
- Neo: Why?
- Morpheus: I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall. Men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air. Yet their strength and their speed are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be.
- Neo: What are you trying to tell me, that I can dodge bullets?
- Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.
- Agent Smith: [He and Cypher are eating at a fancy restaurant] Do we have a deal, Mr. Reagan?
- Cypher: [Cuts a piece of steak and holds it in front of him] You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? [Eats the piece of steak and sighs contently] Ignorance is bliss.
- Agent Smith: Then we have a deal?
- Cypher: I don't wanna remember nothing. Nothing, you understand? And I want to be rich. You know, someone important … like an actor.
- Agent Smith: Whatever you want, Mr. Reagan.
- Cypher: Okay. I get my body back into a power plant, re-insert me into the Matrix, I'll get you what you want.
- Agent Smith: Access codes to the Zion mainframe.
- Cypher: No, I told you, I don't know them. I can get you the man who does.
- Agent Smith: Morpheus.
- The Oracle: You know why Morpheus brought you to see me?
- Neo: I think so.
- The Oracle: So, what do you think? Do you think you're The One?
- Neo: I don't know.
- The Oracle: [The latin phrase Temet Nosce appears on an inscription over the Oracle's door] You know what that means? It's Latin. Means "Know thyself". I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Being The One is just like being in love. No one can tell you you're in love, you just know it. Through and through. Balls to bones.
- Be Afraid Of The Future.
- Free your mind.
- The Fight for the Future Begins.
- Believe the unbelievable.
- Reality is a thing of the past.
- What is The Matrix?
- Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.
- Welcome to the Real World.
- There is no spoon.
- I can only show you the door, you have to walk through it.
- Follow the white rabbit.
- In a world of 1s and 0s... are you a zero, or The One?
- Future is not User Friendly.
- Keanu Reeves – Neo (Thomas A. Anderson)
- Laurence Fishburne – Morpheus
- Carrie-Anne Moss – Trinity
- Hugo Weaving – Agent Smith
- Joe Pantoliano – Cypher
- Gloria Foster – Oracle
- Marcus Chong – Tank
- Julian Arahanga – Apoc
- Matt Doran – Mouse
- Belinda McClory – Switch
- Anthony Ray Parker – Dozer
- The Matrix Reloaded, the second in The Matrix series
- The Matrix Revolutions, the third in The Matrix series
- The Animatrix