Menachem Begin (16 August 1913 – 9 March 1992) was an Israeli politician and the sixth Prime Minister of the State of Israel. Before Independence, he was the leader of the Zionist militant Irgun, the Revisionist breakaway from the larger Jewish paramilitary organization Haganah. He proclaimed a revolt, on February 1, 1944, against the British mandatory government, which was opposed by the Jewish Agency. He played a significant role in Jewish resistance against the British control in the waning years of the mandate, leading the more militant faction within Zionism.
- The Partition of Palestine is illegal. It will never be recognized .... Jerusalem was and will for ever be our capital. Eretz Israel will be restored to the people of Israel. All of it. And for Ever.
- Iron Wall, p. 25 & Simha Flapan, p. 32
- Israel will not transfer Judea, Samaria, and the Gaza District to any foreign sovereign authority, [because] of the historic right of our nation to this land, [and] the needs of our national security, which demand a capability to defend our State and the lives of our citizens."
- Iron Wall, p. 356)
- Israel is still the only country in the world against which there is a written document to the effect that it must disappear.
- Upon completion of the centennial of your birth – and this time only – we have come to address some remarks at your graveside. We report to you, Rosh Betar, that Jerusalem, the city that has become bound together, the eternal capital of Israel and of the Land of Israel, shall not be subjected to any division and is our liberated and indivisible capital and so it shall remain from generation to generation.
The western part of the Land of Israel is entirely under our control and it shall not be partitioned anymore. No part of this land shall be given over to a foreign administration, to foreign sovereignty.
We believe that a day will come when the two parts of the Land of Israel shall establish, peacefully, in agreement and understanding a covenant of alliance, a free confederation, for the purpose of join cooperation
- They are beasts walking on two legs.
- In a speech to the Knesset (24 June 1982), quoted in "Begin and the 'Beasts" ivy Amnon Kapeliouk, in The New Statesman (25 June 1982); some accounts claim that Begin was referring to Palestinians in general, others that he refers only to Palestinian fighters. begincenterdiary)
- The Menachem Begin Heritage Center
- PM Sharon's Address at the Opening Ceremony for the Begin Heritage Centre Building 16 June 2004
- Menachem Begin – The Sixth Prime Minister Official Site of the Prime Minister's Office
- Menachem Begin's biography Knesset website
- The Camp David Accords
- The Bombing of the King David Hotel
- Photo of Begin in Ultra-Orthodox garb while evading the British
- Irgun Web Page
- 1948 Letter of some Eminent Jews to New York Times
- Menachem Begin Obituary Editorial
- The Begin Biography, Nobel Foundation
- Bodies of murdered Clifford Martin and Marvyn Paice
- Menachem Begin Noble Peace Prize Speech – JInsider History Moment
- Menachem Begin Memorial Dedication in Brest, Belarus