Milton S. Mayer
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- When we have produced men of reason, we shall have a world of reason, and the Hitlers will disappear. As long as we produce men of force we shall have a world of force, and the Hitlers, whoever wins the wars, will carry the day.
- Mayer (1939) "I think I'll sit this one out." in: Saturday Evening Post, October 7, 1939; Republished in: We Who Dared to Say No to War: American Antiwar Writing from 1812 to Now. Basic Books, October 20, 2008. p. 193
They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-35 (1955)
Milton Sanford Mayer (1955) They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-35
- Men who did not know that they were slaves do not know that they have been freed.
- p. 62; cited in: Quotable Quotes: They Thought They Were Free by John@EconEngineer in: The Economical Engineer July 1, 2012
- The masses of the people could not be held back from Nazism, so powerful was its appeal, and this same priest, who would not leave his people, went with them to Nazism, too.
- p. 219
- National Socialism did not make men unfree; unfreedom make men National Socialists.
- p. 277
- Hitlerism was a mass flight to dogma, to the barbaric dogma that had not been expelled with the Romans, the dogma of the tribe, the dogma that gave every man importance only in so far as the tribe was important and he was a member of the tribe.
- p. 288