Miracle on 34th Street (1994 film)
Miracle on 34th Street is a 1994 American Christmas fantasy film written and produced by John Hughes, and directed by Les Mayfield. It is the fourth remake (and the second theatrical version) of the original 1947 film. Like the original, this film was released by 20th Century Fox.
- Grandson: Ask him. Ask him. Look at him, Grandpa. Ask him.
- Judge Henry Harper: Uh, I'm sorry. He, uh... he thinks you're Santa Claus.
[Kris Kringle and Judge Harper laugh]
- Kris Kringle: [to Harper's grandson] I am.
- Kris Kringle: Merry Christmas.
- Dorey Walker: Are you still coming to dinner?
- Bryan Bedford: Am I still invited?
- Dorey Walker: Would you be our Santa Claus?
- Kris Kringle: Uh, me?
- Dorey Walker: Well, do you have any experience?
- Kris Kringle: Well... just a little.
- Kris Kringle: You think I'm a fraud, don't you?
- Dorey Walker: Fraud is a bit too strong of a word.
- Kris Kringle: But you don't believe in me.
- Dorey Walker: I believe that Christmas is for children.
- Kris Kringle: Well your daughter doesn't believe in me, either.
- Dorey Walker: I don't think that there's any harm in not believing in a figure that many do acknowledge to be a fiction.
- Kris Kringle: Oh, but there is. I'm not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanor. You know, I... I... I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If... you can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt.
- Kris Kringle: Well, I would greatly like to oblige, Mr. Collins, but I cannot make this reindeer fly.
- Ed Collins: I didn't think so.
- Kris Kringle: He only flies on Christmas Eve.
- Dorey Walker: Susan.
- Susan Walker: What?
- Dorey Walker: What else did you ask Mr. Kringle for?
- Susan Walker: A baby brother. See ya.
- Judge Henry Harper: Mr. Collins, would you like to cross examine...
- Judge Henry Harper: ...your wife?
- Kris Kringle: Mr. Collins, I hope you've taken down that old TV antenna. I ripped my pants on it last year.
[Judge Harper's grandson realizes that he had just met Kris Kringle]
- Grandson: Nuts. I should have got his autograph.
[to Judge Harper, after testifying in court]
- Daniel: Do I have to go to jail now?
- Orderly: This guy ain't dangerous. He may be off his rails a bit, but he ain't nothing. And if he wants to call himself Santa Claus, then God bless him.
- C.F. Cole: We invite you to ask yourself this one simple question: Do you believe in Santa Claus?
- Bryan Bedford: Your Honor, a lot of people believe in Mr. Kringle. Including millions of children. If you rule against him, you won't destroy anyone's belief but you will destroy the man they believe in. Mr. Kringle is not concerned for himself, if he was he wouldn't be here. He is in this regrettable position because he is willing to sacrifice himself for children. To create in their minds a world far better than the one we've made for them. If this is, as Mr. Collins suggests, a masquerade then Mr. Kringle is eager to forfeit his freedom to preserve that masquerade. To subject himself to prosecution to protect the children's right to believe. If this court finds that Mr. Kringle is not who he says he is, that there is no Santa, I ask the court to judge which is worse: A lie that draws a smile or a truth that draws a tear.
[Bryan and Dorey are at the altar]
- Priest: Are you ready?
- Dorey Walker: For what?
- Priest: To get married.
- Susan Walker: I can't sleep.
- Dorey Walker: What's on your mind?
- Susan Walker: Santa Claus.
- Dorey Walker: Mr. Kringle? What about him?
- Susan Walker: He talked sign language with a kid today.
- Dorey Walker: That was considerate of him.
- Susan Walker: He looks like every picture of Santa Claus I've ever seen.
- Dorey Walker: I know. That's why I hired him.
- Richard Attenborough as Kris Kringle
- Mara Wilson as Susan Walker
- Elizabeth Perkins as Dorey Walker
- Dylan McDermott as Bryan Bedford
- J. T. Walsh as Ed Collins
- Simon Jones as Donald Shellhammer
- James Remar as Jack Duff
- Jane Leeves as Alberta Leonard
- Robert Prosky as Judge Henry Harper
- Allison Janney as Brazen Woman in Cole's Christmas Shopping Center
- Jack McGee as Tony Falacchi
- Joss Ackland (uncredited) as Victor Landberg