Mirror's Edge is a single-player first person action-adventure video game developed by EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE) and published by Electronic Arts. The game has a brightly coloured style and differs from most other first-person perspective video games in allowing for a wider range of actions—such as sliding under barriers, tumbling, wall-running, and shimmying across ledges—and greater freedom of movement, in having no heads-up display, and in allowing the legs, arms, and torso of the character to be visible on-screen. Mirror's Edge is set in a futuristic dystopian society, and so a network of 'runners', including the main character, Faith, are used to transmit messages while evading government surveillance. In the style of a three-dimensional platform game, the player guides Faith over rooftops, across walls, and through ventilation shafts, negotiating obstacles using movements inspired by parkour and free running.
- [First lines] Once the city used to pulse with energy. Dirty and dangerous, but alive and wonderful. Now it's something else. The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life. Some didn't. And those who refused to conform were pushed to the sidelines, criminalized. They became our clients. We call ourselves Runners. We exist on the edge between the gloss and the reality: the mirror's edge. We keep out of trouble, out of sight, and the cops don't bother us. Runners see the city in a different way. We see the flow. Rooftops become pathways and conduits, possibilities and routes of escape. The flow is what keeps us running, keeps us alive.
- [On the Blues being so trigger-happy.] It must be contract renewal time.
- [After Lt. Miller ask Faith if she was the one leaving Pope's murder, while holding her at gunpoint.] Well, it's difficult to recall with a GUN in my face.
- [While interrogating Jacknife about her getting ambushed at New Eden Mall.] Bad case of the BLUES. Wouldn't happen to to know anything about that, would you?
- Don't chuck that pizza. I like the toppings matured.
- [to Faith] You're public enemy number 1. To these guys, you've got "meal ticket" written all over you.
- Get some air in your lungs and run!
- [after Faith jumps between two cranes atop separate skyscrapers] Did you just do what I think you did!? God damnit girl, I just spilt my joe all over the keyboard!
- Those blues can't move for shit.
- You can't live on the edge all your life, Faith. Sooner or later, you have to jump.
- Jacknife: You have to be careful who you hang out with.
- Faith: I learned that a long time ago.
- Jacknife: And yet, here we are.
- Faith: I'll survive. That's what we do.
- Celeste: Survival is overrated. You need to live a little too.