Mo' Better Blues
Mo' Better Blues is a 1990 drama film starring Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes and Spike Lee, who also directed. It follows a period in the life of a fictional jazz trumpeteer Bleek Gilliam (played by Washington) as a series of bad decisions result in his jeopardizing both his relationships and his playing career.
- Clarke: Because mo better makes it mo better.
- Bleek: I may have been born yesterday, but I stayed up all night.
- Bleek: Who asked you?
- Left Hand Lacey: Nobody asked me, man.
- Bleek, Shadow Henderson [in unison] Then shut the fuck up!
- Bleek: But the jazz, you know if we had to dep... if we had to depend upon black people to eat, we would starve to death. I mean, you've been out there, you're on the bandstand, you look out into the audience, what do you see? You see Japanese, you see, you see West Germans, you see, you know, Slabobic, anything except our people - it makes no sense. It incenses me that our own people don't realize our own heritage, our own culture, this is our music, man.
- Shadow: That's bullshit.
- Bleek: Why?
- Shadow': [slurred] It's all bullsh... Everything, everything you just said is bullshit. Out of all the people in the world, you never gave anybody else, and look, I love you like a step-brother, but you never gave nobody else a chance t- to play their own music, you complain about... That's right, the people don't come because you grandiose motherfuckers don't play shit that they like. If you played the shit that they like, then people would come, simple as that.