(Redirected from Monotheistic)
Monotheism is the worship of one god.
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָד.
- Πιστεύω εἰς ἕνα Θεόν, Πατέρα, Παντοκράτορα, ποιητὴν οὐρανοῦ καὶ γῆς, ὁρατῶν τε πάντων καὶ ἀοράτων.
- I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
- Incipit of the Nicene Creed.
- أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله.
- I testify that there is no god but Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is His Messenger.
- Ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς ἀπεκρίθη αὐτῷ ὅτι «Πρώτη πάντων τῶν ἐντολῶν, ‹Ἄκουε, Ἰσραήλ, Κύριος ὁ Θεὸς ἡµῶν, Κύριος εἷς ἐστίν›· 30καὶ ἀγαπήσεις κύριον τὸν Θεόν σου ἐξ ὅλης τῆς καρδίας σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ψυχῆς σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς διανοίας σου, καὶ ἐξ ὅλης τῆς ἰσχύος σου. Αὕτη πρώτη ἐντολή».
- And Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is, ‛Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord,’ 30and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.”
- Mark 12:29-30
- Abraham was the first to teach the Unity of God, to establish the faith, to cause it to remain among coming generations, and to win his fellow-men to his doctrine; as Scripture says of him: "I know him, that he will command," &c. (Gen. xviii. 19)
- Monotheistic religions alone furnish the spectacle of religious wars, religious persecutions, heretical tribunals, that breaking of idols and destruction of images of the gods, that razing of Indian temples and Egyptian colossi, which had looked on the sun 3,000 years: just because a jealous god had said, 'Thou shalt make no graven image.'
- Arthur Schopenhauer, On Religion.
- Monotheism occupies so large a space in the view of modern minds, that it is scarcely possible to form a just estimate of the preceding phases of the theological philosophy.
- As Christianity in its beginnings was surrounded by the polytheistic beliefs and practices of the pagan world, a clear and authoritative expression of Monotheism was necessary. Hence the symbols of faith, or creeds, open with the words: "I [we] believe in God"...(APOSTLES' CREED; ATHANASIAN CREED ; NICENE CREED.)
- Monotheism. The Catholic Encyclopedia.