The Pagemaster is a 1994 film directed by Joe Johnston and Maurice Hunt that stars Macaulay Culkin and Christopher Lloyd. It tells the story of Richard Tyler, a pessimistic 10 year old who lives his life "based on statistics," who faces his fears in an animated world with three books: Horror, Adventure, and Fantasy.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- [repeated line] This is not good. Definitely not good.
- Mr. Dewey: Welcome to the library, young man. Don't tell me, you're here for a special book.
- Richard Tyler: Uh, Mister...
- Mr. Dewey: Stop, stop stop, let me guess. I have a talent for guessing what people need. You're in need of... [starts speaking magically] a fantasy. Brave knights, mythical faeries, ferocious dragons.
- Richard Tyler: Look, all I want is...
- Mr. Dewey: [grabbing him and speaking excitedly] Adventure!! Of course, you're a boy who loves adventure, brimming with wicked demons, cutthroat pirates.
- Richard Tyler: No, no. That's not it.
- Mr. Dewey: Horror. [speaking scarily while creeping toward him] Oh, horror. Evil demons, wretched monsters, haunted houses, graveya-a-rds. Yes, it's horror for you, boy. I'm sure of it. [back to normal voice] Your library card, please.
- Adventure: I heard that! And I would let you know, I'm a Classic!
- Fantasy: Mm-hmm, a classic misprint.
- Adventure: Why, you old sea serpent! I'll rip out your pages, and use them for--! (slips off) OH NO! (falls to the ground) MAN OVERBOARD!
- Richard Tyler: (really freaking out) Do something!
- Fantasy: Hmm... (Gives you a blast of wand, then Adventure falls and crashed down) Oops. Ha, ha, I forgot my wand doesn't always work outside of the fantasy section.
- Richard Tyler: You mean you can't wish us to the exit?
- Horror: So, do I think I'm scaring it? He shouldn't swim right after eating you know, he'll get cramps.
- Adventure: Where did he go?
- Richard Tyler: Aaaahh! (The Whales movement)
- Adventure: Row! Row for your lives!
- Richard Tyler: [shrieking] 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! [he caughts with a Moby Dick]
- Adventure: Abandon Ship--!
- Richard Tyler, Horror, Fantasy, Adventure: [bites off the boat] Waa-hooooooh!
- Richard Tyler: Aaaaaaaahhh--! [he fells down to the water and crashed] Me-me-me-me, me-me-me, me-me! [coughs in water] Guys! Where are you?!
- Horror: Can I have the olive? Whoa! [wine glass crashed] Uh-oh.
- Adventure: Now look what you've done!
- Richard Tyler: Horror, you are alive!
- Skinny Pirate: [using the gun with Horror] Not for long! Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee!
- Horror: Aaaaaaaaaaah!
- Adventure: There goes me ticket out of here! Uh...
- Crows Nest Pirate: LAND HO! With the LAND HO!!!
- Richard Tyler: [on seeing the Pagemaster again] Hey! How did you get here!?
- Fantasy: [through her teeth] Quit it! We're in the presence of the Pagemaster!
- Richard Tyler: I know who he is. He's the one who did THIS [gesturing along his body] to me!! Do you have any idea what I've been through?!
- Pagemaster: Tell me.
- Richard Tyler: I was nearly torn apart by a crazy doctor!! I was made a slave by a bunch of mangy pirates. And eaten--got that, eaten--by a fire-breathing dragon!!
- Horror: He don't mean it, my Pagemaster. He don't mean it.
- Richard Tyler: And not to mention being tossed, squashed, and scared practically to death!!
- Pagemaster: Yet you stand before me.
- Richard Tyler: Well, yeah.
- Pagemaster: Think, boy! What kind of an answer would you've had if I brought you here with the turn of a page?
- [hologram of Mr. Hyde appears, then morphs into Jekyll]
- Dr. Jekyll: You prevailed over evil. [morphs into Captain Ahab]
- Captain Ahab: Ah, you looked Moby Dick in the eye, boy. [morphs into Long John Silver]
- Long John Silver: Ah, you had pirate stuff, me lad! An' don't no one speak any different.
- Pagemaster: If I had brought you here from the start, you would've never had the courage to face your own fears. [hologram morphs into the Dragon] And in doing so, you triumph here... and always. [hologram shows Richard Tyler unconscious on the library's rotunda floor]
- Macaulay Culkin as Richard Tyler
- Christopher Lloyd as Mr. Dewey
- Ed Begley, Jr. and Mel Harris as Alan and Claire Tyler
- Christopher Lloyd as the Pagemaster
- Patrick Stewart as Adventure
- Whoopi Goldberg as Fantasy
- Frank Welker as Horror
- Leonard Nimoy as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- George Hearn as Captain Ahab
- Jim Cummings as Long John Silver
- Phil Hartman as Tom Morgan
- Ed Gilbert as George Merry
- B. J. Ward as The Queen of Hearts
- Dorian Harewood, Richard Erdman, Fernando Escandon and Robert Picardo as Various pirates on the Hispaniola