The Islamic Republic of Pakistan is a country in South Asia, marking the region where South Asia converges with Central Asia and the Middle East. It is the sixth most heavily populated country in the world.
- [Pakistan is] the most allied ally in Asia.
- Pakistan was once called the most allied ally of the United States. We are now the most non-allied.
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, as quoted in The New York Times (6 July 1973).
- This is not a letter on Pakistan. If it were, I could have written a small book entitled "Glimpses of Pakistan's history". Time does not permit it. The nation is gripped in her worst crisis, standing in the middle of the road between survival and disintegration. Since the birth of Pakistan, crisis has followed crisis in rapid escalation. Millions of lives were sacrificed to create this country. Pakistan is said to be the dream of Mohammad Iqbal and the creation of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the Quaid-e-Azam. Was anything wrong with the dream or with the one who made the dream come true? Opinions have differed and continue to differ. The next few years will most probably decide the issue, perhaps once and for all, and not without bloodshed. This process is not inevitable but the present policies of the ruling junta are driving this country towards a sad inevitability
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, letter to his daughter (1978), p. 37.
- Pakistan not only means freedom and independence but the Muslim Ideology which has to be preserved, which has come to us as a precious gift and treasure and which, we hope other will share with us.
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah (June 18, 1945), in Speeches and Writings of Mr. Jinnah (1960), p. 175.
- We have proclaimed that if the Government of Pakistan would work for our people and our country the Khudai Khidmatgars would be with them. I repeat that I am not for the destruction of Pakistan. In destruction lies no good. Neither Hindus nor Muslims, nor the Frontier, not Punjab, Bengal or Sindh stands to gain from it. There is advantage only in construction. I want to tell you categorically I will not support anybody in destruction. If any constructive programme is before you, if you want to do something constructive for our people, not in theory, but in practice, I declare before this House that I and my people are at your service?
- Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan (February 1948) quoted in Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan: A True Servant of Humanity by Girdhari Lal Puri pp -188 ? 190.
- What's happened recently in Pakistan, India and Kuwait only goes to show that it's futile to imitate Western democracy. They've ended up exactly where they started.
- Muhammad Reza Pahlavi, as quoted in Alam, Asadollah (1991), The Shah and I, I. B. Tauris, page 506.
- It is commonly and, I believe, accurately said of Pakistan that her women are much more impressive than her men.
- Terrorize the jam like troops in Pakistan
Swingin through your town like your neighborhood Spiderman.
- [Pakistan] will be a steadfast partner…. A force for freedom and moderation in the Arab world.
- George W. Bush, televised speech in India, March 3, 2006; According to one news report, "White House spokesman Scott McClellan later had to explain aboard Air Force One en route to Pakistan that Bush meant to say 'Muslim world' — uncomfortably noting that Pakistan is not an Arab nation." "Bush's Pakistan visit not 'risk-free'", Chicago Tribune, March 3, 2006