Paris is Burning
Paris is Burning is a 1991 film about the Ball culture in New York City night life. It documents the challenges transvestites and drag queens faced in their daily lives as well as in their preparation for the ultra competitive ball circuit.
- Directed by Jennie Livingston.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Dorian Corey 
- I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot a arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.
- Shade comes from reading. Reading came first.
- You get in a smart crack, and everyone laughs and kikis because you've found a flaw and exaggerated it, then you've got a good read going.
- Shade is I don't tell you you're ugly but I don't have to tell you because you know you're ugly ... and that's shade.
Venus Xtravaganza 
- Now you wanna talk about reading? Let's talk about reading. What is wrong with you, Pedro, are you going through it? You're going through some kind of psychological change in your life? You went back to being a man? Touch this skin, darling, touch this skin honey, touch all of this skin! Okay? You just can't take it! You're just an overgrown orangutan!
- I don't feel like there's anything mannish about me, except maybe what I might have between me down there, which is my personal thing.
- And um, he's taking me out for dinner later this evening, or for cocktails after midnight. I know he'll give me some money just for me to maybe buy some shoes and a nice dress, so that the next time he sees me, he'll see me looking more and more beautiful, the way he wants to see me. But I don't have to go to bed with him, or anything like that. At times they do expect sexual favors, but that is between myself and them, so I don't want to talk about that any further. At most times, 99 percent of the time they don't. 95 percent of the time they don't. I feel like, if you're married? A woman, in the suburbs, a regular woman, if you want your husband to buy a washer and dryer set, I'm sure she'd have to go to bed with him, to give him something he wants, to get what she wants. So, in the long run, it all ends up the same way.
- Having a ball...wish you were here