Pink Floyd was an English rock band who earned recognition for its psychedelic music in the late 1960s, and as it evolved in the 1970s, for progressive rock music. Pink Floyd's work is marked by the use of philosophical lyrics, sonic experimentation, innovative album cover art, and elaborate live shows.
- 1 Song lyrics
- 1.1 The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
- 1.2 A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
- 1.3 Ummagumma (1969)
- 1.4 Atom Heart Mother (1970)
- 1.5 Meddle (1971)
- 1.6 Obscured by Clouds (1972)
- 1.7 The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
- 1.8 Wish You Were Here (1975)
- 1.9 Animals (1977)
- 1.10 The Wall (1979)
- 1.11 The Final Cut (1983)
- 1.12 A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
- 1.13 The Division Bell (1994)
- 1.14 Other
- 2 External links
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
- Lime and limpid green, a second scene
A fight between the blue you once knew.
Floating down, the sound resounds
Around the icy waters underground.
- Emily tries but misunderstands, ah ooh
She often inclined to borrow somebody's dreams till tomorrow.
There is no other day
Let's try it another way
You'll lose your mind and play
Free games for may
See Emily play.
- See Emily Play, written by Syd Barrett
A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
- Remember a day before today
A day when you were young.
Free to play alone with time
Evening never came.
- Over the mountain watching the watcher.
Breaking the darkness
Waking the grapevine.
One inch of love is one inch of shadow
Love is the shadow that ripens the wine.
Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
- It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here.
- Jugband Blues, written by Syd Barrett
- In the lazy water meadow I lay me down.
All around me golden sun flakes settle on the ground.
Basking in the sunshine of a bygone afternoon
Bringing sounds of yesterday into this city room.
- Grantchester Meadows, written by Roger Waters
Atom Heart Mother (1970)
- If I were the moon, I'd be cool.
If I were a book, I would bend for you.
If I were a good man, I'd understand
The spaces between friends.
- If, written by Roger Waters
- A cloud of eiderdown
Draws around me
Softening a sound.
Sleepy time, and I lie,
With my love by my side,
And she's breathing low.
- Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me.
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand
The best I can.
Obscured by Clouds (1972)
- Ancient bonds are breaking,
Moving on and changing sides.
Dreaming of a new day,
Cast aside the other way.
Magic visions stirring,
Kindled by and burning flames rise in her eyes.
- Burning Bridges, written by Roger Waters & Richard Wright
- Life is a short, warm moment
And death is a long cold rest.
You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
- Free Four, written by Roger Waters
- The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
You shuffle in gloom in the sickroom
And talk to yourself till you die.
- Free Four
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
- Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
- Breathe, written by David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Richard Wright
- Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
- Time, written by David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters, Richard Wright
- So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older;
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
- Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.
- Money, get back.
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, it's a hit.
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit.
I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet.
- Money, written by Roger Waters
- Money, it's a crime.
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're
Giving none away.
- Us, and them
And after all we're only ordinary men.
Me, and you.
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.
- Us and Them, written by Richard Wright, Roger Waters
- Forward he cried, from the rear, and the front rank died.
The general sat, and the lines on the map, moved from side to side.
- Us and Them, written by Richard Wright, Roger Waters
- And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too,
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
- Brain Damage, written by Roger Waters
- The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.
- Brain Damage
- All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
- Eclipse, written by Roger Waters
- There's no dark side of the moon really.
Matter of fact it is all dark.
Wish You Were Here (1975)
- You reached for the secret too soon,
You cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Threatened by shadows at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond, written by Roger Waters, Richard Wright, David Gilmour
- Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been?
It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time.
- Welcome to the Machine, written by Roger Waters
- Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar.
You're gonna go far, fly high,
You're never gonna die,
You're gonna make it if you try;
They're gonna love you.
- Have a Cigar, written by Roger Waters
- So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skies from pain?
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
- Wish You Were Here, written by Roger Waters and David Gilmour
- How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.
- Wish You Were Here
- You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need.
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street,
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight,
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking.
- Dogs, written by Roger Waters, David Gilmour
- What do you get for pretending the danger's not real.
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel.
What a surprise!
A look of terminal shock in your eyes.
Now things are really what they seem.
No, this is no bad dream.
- Sheep, written by Roger Waters
All songs written by Roger Waters, except as noted
- So ya, thought ya, might like to go to the show?
- If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
- In the Flesh?
- If you should go skating
On the thin ice of modern life
Dragging behind you the silent reproach
Of a million tear-stained eyes
Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
Appears under your feet.
- When we grew up and went to school
There were certain teachers who would
Hurt the children in any way they could
By pouring their derision
Upon anything we did
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids.
- We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
- Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry.
Mother's gonna make all your nightmares come true.
Mother's gonna put all of her fears into you.
Mother's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Mama will keep baby cozy and warm.
Ooooh baby ooooh baby oooooh baby,
Of course mama's gonna help build the wall.
- What shall we use
To fill the empty spaces
Where we used to talk?
- I am just a new boy,
Stranger in this town.
Where are all the good times?
Who's gonna show this stranger around?
Ooooh, I need a dirty woman.
Ooooh, I need a dirty girl.
- Young Lust, written by Roger Waters, David Gilmour
- Day after day, love turns grey
Like the skin of a dying man.
Night after night, we pretend its all right
But I have grown older and
You have grown colder and
Nothing is very much fun any more.
And I can feel one of my turns coming on.
I feel cold as a razor blade,
Tight as a tourniquet,
Dry as a funeral drum.
- Hey you, out there on your own
Sitting naked by the phone
Would you touch me?
Hey you, with you ear against the wall
Waiting for someone to call out
Would you touch me?
Hey you, would you help me to carry the stone?
Open your heart, I'm coming home.
- But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high,
As you can see.
No matter how he tried,
He could not break free.
And the worms ate into his brain.
- Hey You
- There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.
- Comfortably Numb, written by Roger Waters, David Gilmour
- Good morning, Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature;
This will not do.
- Since, my friend, you have revealed your
I sentence you to be exposed before
Tear down the wall!
- The Trial
The Final Cut (1983)
All songs written by Roger Waters
- Tell me true tell me why was Jesus crucified?
Is it for this that Daddy died?
Was it for you? Was it me?
Did i watch too much t.v.?
Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?
- Enough to eat
Somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
Where you can speak out loud
About your doubts and fears
And what's more no-one ever disappears
You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door.
You can relax on both sides of the tracks
And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
And everyone has recourse to the law
And no one kills the children anymore.
- Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial
Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings.
- Fuck all that we've got to get on with these
Gotta compete with the wily Japanese.
There's too many home fires burning
And not enough trees.
So fuck all that
We've go to get on with these.
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
- Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast,
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I.
- Dogs of war and men of hate
With no cause, we don't discriminate
Discovery is to be disowned
Our currency is flesh and bone
Hell opened up and put on sale
Gather 'round and haggle.
- The Dogs of War, written by David Gilmour, Anthony Moore
- A restless eye across a weary room
A glazed look and I was on the road to ruin
The music played and played as we whirled without end
No hint, no word her honour to defend
I will, I will she sighed to my request
And then she tossed her mane while my resolve was put to the test.
- Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away.
- On the Turning Away, written by David Gilmour, Anthony Moore
The Division Bell (1994)
- Her love rains down on me easy as the breeze
I listen to her breathing it sounds like the waves on the sea
I was thinking all about her, burning with rage and desire
We were spinning into darkness; the earth was on fire.
- Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begun.
- High Hopes, written by David Gilmour, Polly Samson
- Isn't it strange
How little we change
Isn't it sad we're insane
Playing the game that we know end in tears
The games we've been playing for thousands and thousands and thousands and...
- Point Me at the Sky, written by David Gilmour and Roger Waters