Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
(Redirected from Precious)
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire is a 2009 film about an overweight, illiterate teen, pregnant with her second child, who is invited to enroll in an alternative school in hopes that her life can head in a new direction.
Claireece 'Precious' Jones 
- [voiceover] My name is Claireece "Precious" Jones. I wish I had a light-skinned boyfriend with real nice hair. And I wanna be on the cover of a magazine. But first I wanna be in one of them BET videos. Momma said I can't dance. Plus, she said who wants to see my big ass dancing, anyhow?
- Some folks has a lot of things around them that shines for other peoples. I think that maybe some of them was in tunnels. And in that tunnel, the only light they had, was inside of them. And then long after they escape that tunnel, they still be shining for everybody else.
- [Taking an assessment test] There's always something wrong with these tests. These tests paint a picture of me with no brain. These tests paint a picture of me and my mother, my whole family as less than dumb. Just ugly black grease, need to be wiped away, find a job for.
- Sometimes I wish I was dead. I'll be okay, I guess, 'cause I'm lookin' up. Lookin' for something to fall, [chuckles to herself] a desk, a couch, TV... my mom, maybe.
- I'm gonna break through or somebody gonna break through to me.
- [to Mary] You know to this day, I never even knew who you was, not even after all them things you did. Maybe I was too stupid. Maybe I just didn't want to. You ain't gonna see me no more.
- The other day, I cried. But you know what? Fuck that day. That's why God, or whoever, makes other days.
Mary Lee Johnston 
- [to Precious] Oh, so you're going to stand up there and look down at me like you're a woman? You don't know what real women do! Real women sacrifice! [Throws glass at Precious, which shatters at her feet] Now, laugh at that, fat bitch.
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: [In the principal's office] Hello, Claireece:[Claireece looks away]
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: You're 16; you're still in Junior High School; and you're pregnant with your second child. Is that correct?
- [No reply]
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: Are you pregnant, again? [Mrs. Lichtenstein sighs] What happened Claireece ?
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: I had sex, Mrs. Lichtenstein.
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: Do you have any other thoughts about your situation, Claireece ?
- [Claireece shrugs]
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: Claireece ?
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: Am I in trouble?
- [No reply]
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: Thank you, but I have to get back to math.
- [She gathers her things to leave]
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: Sit down, Claireece . Sit down right now!
- [Claireece sits back down]
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: We should have a parent-teacher conference with you, me and your mother.
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: My mother's busy.
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: Alright. How about if I come to your house?
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: If I were you, I wouldn't.
- Mrs. Weiss: You know, let's talk about your father. Tell me about your relationship with him.
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: I don't know much more than you do, Mrs. White.
- Mrs. Weiss: That's Mrs. "Weiss." Talk to me about the little you do know about your father. It is important, whether you know it or not.
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: He give me his baby and my one before it, but I don't never see him...
- Mrs. Weiss: Wait, what did you say he gave you?
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: Nothing.
- Mrs. Weiss: Wait, Clareece, you just said your father gave you something...
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: Nothing.
- Mrs. Weiss: No, I heard you just say...
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: You didn't hear shit.
- Mrs. Weiss: I heard you just say your father...
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: You didn't hear shit like it!
- Mrs. Weiss: I don't care, honey! I need to know this!
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: I didn't say nothing like it! Let's move on!
- Mrs. Weiss: I need this to help you...
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: [Angrily] Bitch, can we change the subject?
- Mrs. Weiss: Okay. Well, I'll see you next time then. Or maybe you'll see someone else. But you're going to have to talk to someone if you want your check, sweetie.
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: [Crying hysterically] Nobody loves me!
- Ms. Rain: People do love you, Precious.
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: Please don't lie to me, Ms. Rain! Love ain't done nothing for me... but beat me... rape me... call me an animal! Make me feel worthless! Make me sick!
- Ms. Rain: [Tears begin falling from her eyes] That wasn't love, Precious. Your baby loves you. I love you!
- Mrs. Weiss: Let's talk about the abuse in your household. You know what I'm talking about.
- Mary Lee Johnston: [Tearfully] You sit there and you judge me, and you write them notes on your notepad, because you think you know who I am!
- Mrs. Weiss: [Angrily] You just sat there, shut up, and let him abuse your daughter.
- Mary Lee Johnston: [Hysterically, in tears] I did not want him to abuse my daughter! I did not want him to hurt her! I didn't want him to do nothing to her!
- Mrs. Weiss: But you allowed him to hurt her! You did!
- Mary Lee Johnston: But, those... those things she told you I did to her? Who... who... who else was going to love me? Who else was going to touch me? Who else was going to make me feel good about myself?
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: You don't even like me.
- Mrs. Weiss: Have we not been in this room together for like, a year discussing your life?
- Claireece 'Precious' Jones: Does that mean we like each other because we discussing my life?
- Mrs. Weiss: [Smiling] Well, I can't speak for you. I can only speak for me, and I like you. I do.
- Gabourey Sidibe - Claireece 'Precious' Jones
- Mo'Nique - Mary Lee Johnston
- Paula Patton - Ms. Rain
- Mariah Carey - Mrs. Weiss
- Sherri Shepherd - Cornrows
- Chyna Layne - Rhonda Patrice Johnson
- Lenny Kravitz - Nurse John