(Redirected from Proven)
|This science article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- You may prove anything by figures.
- Quoted by Thomas Carlyle, Chartism, No. 2; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 636
- A very great deal more truth can become known than can be proven.
- For when one's proofs are aptly chosen,
Four are as valid as four dozen.
- Matthew Prior, Alma (1718), Canto I. End
- quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
- What is asserted gratuitously may be denied gratuitously.
- Variant: What is asserted without proof (evidence, reason), may (can) be denied (dismissed) without proof (evidence, reason).
- Anonymous maxim, widely used since at least the early 19th century (e.g. The Classical Journal , Vol. 40 (1829), p. 312)