Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (魔法少女まどか☆マギカ Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika, "Magical Girl Madoka of the Magus") is a Japanese anime television series produced by Shaft and Aniplex. The series is directed by Akiyuki Shinbo and written by Gen Urobuchi with original character designs by Ume Aoki, character design adaptation by Takahiro Kishida and music by Yuki Kajiura. The first ten episodes aired in Japan on TBS and MBS between January and March 2011, while the final two episodes were delayed until April 2011 due to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.
- 1 TV Episodes
- 1.1 I First Met Her in a Dream, or Something...
- 1.2 That Would Be Truly Wonderful
- 1.3 I'm Not Afraid of Anything Anymore
- 1.4 Miracles and Magic Are Real
- 1.5 There's No Way I'll Ever Regret It
- 1.6 This Just Can't Be Right
- 1.7 Can You Face Your True Feelings?
- 1.8 I Was Stupid, So Stupid
- 1.9 I'd Never Allow That To Happen
- 1.10 I Won't Rely On Anyone Anymore
- 1.11 The Only Thing I Have Left To Guide Me
- 1.12 My Very Best Friend
- 2 Cast
I First Met Her in a Dream, or Something...
- [Madoka is talking to Sayaka and Hitomi about what Homura said to her in the hallway in a restaurant.]
- Sayaka: She said what?
- Madoka: It doesn't make any sense, does it?
- Sayaka: And there I was thinking she was this awesome girl that it turns out she's a total psycho! Ugh! I hope she doesn't think acting like a weird transfer student is cool! That's so moe it makes me sick! [Puts head down on table.]
- Hitomi: [To Madoka] This has to be a misunderstanding. Are you positive you've never met her before?
- Madoka: Hm...I guess the sensible answer would be "yes".
- Sayaka: [Lifts head] Okay, what do you mean by "sensible"? Either you met her or you didn't.
- Madoka: Well, it's like, you're gonna think I'm weird, but I first met her in a dream...or something. [Hitomi and Sayaka laugh.]
- Sayaka: [Jokingly] That's awesome! The anime character in you is popping out, too!
- Madoka: Come on! That's mean; this is really bugging me!
- Sayaka: I got it all figured out; you guys knew each other in a past life and fate has reached across time and space to bring you back together again!
- Hitomi: In your dream, what happened when you met her?
- Madoka: That's the thing; I can't really remember what happened in it. All I know is that it was really strange and spooky.
- Hitomi: If you want my opinion, I think it's entirely possible you met Miss Akemi somewhere before.
- Madoka: Huh?
- Hitomi: You might now remember meeting her, but your sub-conscience certainly took note of it. When you were having that dream, your sub-conscience simply brought up the image of her.
- Sayaka: Seriously? That's a heck of a coincidence, don't you think?
- Hitomi: [Chuckles] Perhaps.
That Would Be Truly Wonderful
- [Mami, Madoka, Sayaka, and Kyubey are in a restaurant talking about hunting witches.]
- Mami: Well, time to start lesson one of the magical girl experience. That's what I like to call it, anyway. I hope you're ready.
- Sayaka: I don't know if it'll make a difference but, I brought this! [Slams a bat wrapped in cloth down on the table, frightening Madoka and Kyubey, and unwraps it.] I mean, it's better than not having anything, right?
- Mami: Well, let's say I'm glad you're going into it with that spirit.
- Sayaka: [To Madoka] How about you? What'd you bring?
- Madoka: Huh? Nothing, just this. [Presents a notebook with sketches of Madoka's idea of a magical girl costume along with sketches of Homura and Mami in their costumes.]
- Sayaka: Huh?
- Mami: Hm...?
- Madoka: I sorta thought it'd be good to have some costume ideas. Just in case. [Mami and Sayaka laugh much to Madoka's dismay.]
- Mami: [Stops laughing] Well, you certainly have the right spirit.
- Sayaka: [Still laughing] That's so awesome! I can't top that! [Mami continutes laughing.]
- [Sayaka and Hitomi are walking to school and Madoka catches up with them, who is carrying Kyubey.]
- Madoka: Good morning! [Both Sayaka and Hitomi stop walking]
- Hitomi: Oh, good morning.
- Sayaka: Hey, EH?! [Notices Madoka carrying Kyubey.]
- Kyubey: Good morning, Sayaka!
- Sayaka: U-uh...
- Hitomi: You look ill. Is something the matter?
- Sayaka: [Whispering to Madoka] Looks like we're the only ones who can see him (Kyubey), huh?
- Madoka: I guess so.
- Hitomi: What are you...?
- Sayaka: Nah, it's nothing. Well, let's go. [Sayaka and Hitomi resume walking.]
- Madoka: [Through Kyubey's mind. To Sayaka.] We can communicate like this. Just by thinking to each other.
- Sayaka: [Through Kyubey's mind. To Madoka. Surprised] Huh?! You mean we already have magical powers? For reals?
- Kyubey: [Through his mind. To Sayaka.] No, not yet. I'm letting you communicate your thoughts through me. It's kind of a handy trick, don't you think?
- Sayaka: [Through Kyubey's mind. To Kyubey.] It feels sort of...weird.
- Hitomi: [Aloud. To Madoka and Sayaka.] Excuse me. What's going on between you? Why do you keep staring at each other?
- Madoka: [Aloud] Huh? Oh. Uh...It's just...
- Hitomi: [Drops her bag in shock] I can't believe it! Just by looking at each other you know what the other's thinking?! For two people to become that intimate after one night?! What did you do after I left yesterday?!
- Madoka: [Nervous] Uh...
- Sayaka: [Aloud] I can't believe she's going there...
- Madoka: [To Hitomi] Well, actually...Lots of things happened, but...
- Hitomi: That's enough! You can't be serious! You're both girls! Girls can't love girls! [Starts running off] Girls can't love girls! Girls can't love girls!
- Sayaka: [Holding up Hitomi's bag] Hey, wait! You forgot your bag!
- Madoka: Uh, what's wrong with her? Hitomi's acting just like you today.
- Sayaka: What the heck's that supposed to mean?!
- [Madoka and Sayaka are talking with Hitomi in the hallway.]
- Sayaka: Hitomi, hey. Sorry, but we sort of have a couple of errands to run so...
- Hitomi: Oh, something private? [Referring to what she thinks to be a devious activity that happened the day before between Sayaka and Madoka.]
- Madoka: Well, uh...
- Hitomi: I'm so jealous! I guess it's true what they say that "two's company" and "three's a crowd"! [Runs off]
- Sayaka: You've got it all wrong...again...
I'm Not Afraid of Anything Anymore
- [Mami had just defeated a witch's familiar and is talking to Sayaka and Madoka.]
- Sayaka: Whoa! Mami, you are so unbelievably cool!
- Mami: This isn't supposed to be fun. What we're doing is very dangerous. Don't forget that, okay?
- Sayaka: Roger that! [Kyubey shows up and runs towards the three and climbs onto Madoka's shoulder.]
- Madoka: How come the Grief Seed didn't pop out this time?
- Kyubey: It wasn't a witch. It was a familiar acting without its master. They don't carry Grief Seeds.
- Madoka: Oh, so that wasn't a witch.
- Sayaka: It seems a shame to fight it and not get anything.
- Mami: We can't really let familiars do what they want. If we did, they'd eventually become the same as the witch they split off from. Well, shall we go now?
Miracles and Magic Are Real
- [Sayaka is visiting Kyousuke in the hospital. Kyousuke is listening to a CD Sayaka bought for him.]
- Sayaka: What you listening to?
- Kyousuke: "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair".
- Sayaka: Oh, that's Debussy. It's a beautiful song. [Pause] Uh, you know what? It's kinda funny but, I don't think people really see me as the type who'd listen to classical music. And whenever I can name a piece correctly? Seriously, you should see their faces. It's like they're impressed I know about that stuff. [Pause] Everything I know about it is 'cause of you. Seriously though, I would've never even listened to classical music ever...if it wasn't for you, you know.
- Kyousuke: Hey, Sayaka?
- Sayaka: Huh? Yeah?
- Kyousuke: Cut it out. Stop torturing me already. Why do you keep coming here? You think I like listening to this music? It's like you're trying to hurt me.
- Sayaka: [Shocked] But Kyousuke, I-I thought you loved music?
- Kyousuke: [Angry] I don't wanna hear this crap anymore! What's the point if I can't play?! All I can do is listen! I-I just...I just- [Kyousuke slams his injured left hand onto one of the CDs, shattering it, causing his hand to bleed. Sayaka stops him before he can cause further damage.] I can't move it! I can't even feel the pain anymore; my hand's useless!
- Sayaka: It's gonna be okay. I'm sure someday somehow...Don't give up hope! They'll figure something out!
- Kyousuke: But they came and told me to give up...They said I'll never play again...The doctor told me...He said that current medicine can't help anymore...My hand is never gonna move right again...Unless magic and miracles suddenly become real.
- Sayaka: But they are! Miracles; magic...they are real...
There's No Way I'll Ever Regret It
This Just Can't Be Right
Can You Face Your True Feelings?
I Was Stupid, So Stupid
- [Sayaka is fighting a witch's familiar, but it manages to get away, dispelling the labyrinth. Homura appears before her outside of the labyrinth.]
- Homura: Why can't you understand you don't have a luxury to fool around? You should only hunt witches.
- Sayaka: Shut up. I don't need your advice.
- Homura: Your Soul Gem is at its limit. You need to purify it now. Use this. [Homura tosses her a Grief Seed which Sayaka promptly kicks away with her heel shortly after.]
- Sayaka: What is this? What're you up to?
- Homura: Don't be stupid. You're in no position to question my help. Or do you just hate the idea of it?
- Sayaka: Well, I'm gonna be a different kind of magical girl; that's what I decided. I'm not gonna screw anyone over or take anyone for granted. And I won't associate with anyone who does. I don't need anyone's thanks. I'll be the only magical girl around who doesn't use her magic for herself.
- Homura: Well, then. You are going to die.
- Sayaka: So what? If I'm gonna die, it's gonna be when I can't kill witches anymore. No one's gonna need me anyway, right? I'm okay with that. The world doesn't need a magical girl if she can't even kill a witch.
- Homura: Why are you doing this to yourself? Why won't you trust me? Can't you see I just want to help you?
- Sayaka: Why don't I trust you? Maybe it's 'cause I can tell what you really are. Maybe I know you're lying. You look like someone who's given up on everything. When you talk, you use empty words. In fact, you're doing it now. You say you wanna help me, but I know that's not what you're really thinking. You're not fooling anyone. Uh-uh.
- Homura: Do you realize that you're just making Madoka suffer more and more?
- Sayaka: Madoka? This has nothing to do with her.
- Homura: You're wrong. Everything has to do with her. [Homura transforms into her magical girl outfit.] You're sharp. Yes, you're right about me. I don't give a damn if you live or die; I don't care. I just don't want Madoka to see you like this; as you destroy yourself. If you don't let me help you now, you're going to die either way. You see, if you make her suffer any more, then I will...kill you. Right here, right now, [Homura prepares for an attack.] Sayaka Miki... [Kyoko shows up from behind and restrains Homura.]
- Kyoko: [To Sayaka] Hurry! Go on! Get outta here! [Sayaka gets up and walks away.] [To Homura] What're you, crazy?! What happened to saving her?! You remember that?!
- Homura: Let me go.
- Kyoko: Oh, I get it. If I keep holding onto you like this you can't use that funky technique of yours, can ya? [A flash grenade falls from Homura's sleeve. Homura pulls the pin out, blinds Kyoko and escapes.] Dammit!
- [Sayaka is in a train station sitting on a bench. Kyoko catches up with her.]
- Kyoko: Finally, I found ya. [Sits down beside her and opens a can of chips.] So how much longer are you gonna do the stubborn thing, huh? [Starts eating the chips]
- Sayaka: I'm sorry if I caused you any trouble.
- Kyoko: Seriously? Doesn't sound like you at all.
- Sayaka: [Sighs] Yeah, you're right. I guess I just don't care anymore. I can't remember...what I thought was so important; what was worth protecting, you know? It's all a blank now. Doesn't make sense anymore.
- Kyoko: Hey, come on.
- Sayaka: [Reveals her soul gem which is extremely corrupted.] Balance means good and bad happen to zero themselves out. Right? That's what you said...or something like it. I think I understand what you mean now. The good this is I did save a few people, but the bad thing is I got angrier and my heart filled up with envy and hate. It got so bad I even hurt my best friend.
- Kyoko: Sayaka, your soul gem!
- Sayaka: For all the happiness you wish for someone, someone else gets cursed with equal misery. That's how it works for magical girls...and that's how it is for me...[Sayaka begins to cry.] I was stupid...So stupid...[One of her tears hits her soul gem, causing it to shatter which causes a shockwave sending Kyoko flying towards a rail. Afterwards, a witch appears from the soul gem.]
- Kyoko: SAYAKA!!!
- Kyubey: On this planet, you call females who have yet to become adults "girls". It makes sense then that since you'll eventually become witches, you should be called "magical girls".
I'd Never Allow That To Happen
- Kyoko: [Thinking] Hey, God. If you're there, my life sucked. So for once, please, let me have a happy dream.
- [Madoka and Kyoko are in the labyrinth of Oktavia von Seckendorff in hopes of rescuing Sayaka.]
- Madoka: Hey, Kyoko?
- Kyoko: Yeah?
- Madoka: I feel bad I can't help. Everyone else has always done the fighting for me...Anyway, I sort of feel like a coward.
- Kyoko: Why the heck would you ever want to become a magical girl?
- Madoka: Why? Uh...
- Kyoko: Uh-uh. Don't underestimate this stuff. This ain't a job anybody can do.
- Madoka: But...
- Kyoko: If you get to eat good food every day and live a happy life with your family, why would you give that up if you're not sure it's what you really want? You think about becoming a magical girl on some stupid whim? I'd never allow that to happen. Hell, I'd kick your ass before you could. If you do this then you're putting your life in danger. The only people who should do this are the ones who've got no other choice. Anybody else who sticks their nose in it is just messing around. And that's dumb.
- Madoka: You think so, huh?
- Kyoko: But you never know, right? Maybe there will come a time when your back's gonna be up against the wall and you'll have to stand up and fight. If that day ever comes, you can think about it then.
I Won't Rely On Anyone Anymore
- Homura: [Narrating] I'll do it over. No matter how many times it takes. I'll relive it over and over again. I will find the way out. The one path that will save me from this destiny of despair. Madoka; my one and my only friend.
The Only Thing I Have Left To Guide Me
My Very Best Friend
- Madoka Kaname - Aoi Yūki (Japanese) / Christine Marie Cabanos (English)
- Homura Akemi - Chiwa Saitō (Japanese) / Cristina Vee (English)
- Sayaka Miki - Eri Kitamura (Japanese) / Sarah Williams (English)
- Kyōko Sakura - Ai Nonaka (Japanese) / Lauren Landa (English)
- Mami Tomoe - Kaori Mizuhashi (Japanese) / Carrie Keranen (English)
- Kyubey - Emiri Katō (Japanese) / Cassandra Morris (English)