Recess: School's Out
Recess: School's Out is a 2001 animated film based on the Disney television series Recess. This film was produced by Walt Disney Pictures and was released theatrically nationwide on February 16, 2001. It was released on video and DVD on August 7, 2001.
[Miss Finster bursts through a window in the auditorium ceiling. She lands hard on the floor]
- Miss Finster: [to Benedict] Hey, teacher! Leave them kids alone!
[All the kids smile]
- TJ: Miss Finster!
- Benedict: Muriel! It's you. You're still a vision of loveliness.
- Miss Finster: Yeah, and you're still a two-bit recess-hating pretty boy.
[TJ has just arrived to pick up Vince from baseball camp]
- Vince: TJ, what are you doing here?
- TJ: You've got to come back to town. It's an emergency.
- Vince: What? I can't just leave.
- TJ: Look, something weird is going on at school, and Principal Prickly got dematerialized.
- Vince: Dematerialized? TJ, you're crazy.
- TJ: [holds up Principal Prickly's burnt golf shoes] Am I?
[Vince becomes shocked]
[The gang observes an enormous tractor beam rising slowly up out of the school. It tilts.]
- Gus: Whoa! What's happening?
[It shoots at the sky. The gang winces from the brightness of the beam. It stops and lowers back into the school.]
- Vince: Okay, that right there. That was messed up.
[Mikey passes out]
- Benedict: [looking out Principal Prickly's office window] You see all those years, no matter how big I got, no matter how successful....I always thought about you. How you embarrassed me! How you humiliated me! How you destroyed my relationship with Muriel Finster, the only woman I ever loved!
- TJ: That part still grosses me out, sir.
- Prickly: Shh.
- Benedict: But this time, Petey, I'm gonna humiliate you! This time I'm gonna prove to the world that you were wrong and I was right!
- Prickly: About what?
- Benedict: About RECESS! About freedom! About test scores! I found a way to prove my theory. I'm gonna get rid of the biggest recess of them all! I am gonna get rid...of summer vacation!
- TJ: YOU FIEND!!
- Benedict: "Fiend". Yeah, you try to help people, that's the thanks you get.
[TJ and Principal Prickly are locked in a cage]
- TJ: Help! Help! Somebody get us outta here!
- Prickly: Calm down, Detweiler. I got the...
- TJ: Calm down? We're locked in a giant birdcage while a madman is out there trying to destroy summer vacation, and you want me to calm down?
- Prickly: I understand. But I...
- TJ: How can YOU understand? You're just a grownup! What do YOU know about summer vacation?
[Prickly stands and places his hands on his hips]
- Prickly: I'll let you in on a little secret, Detweiler. Every adult you've ever known was a kid at sometime in his life. You think we don't remember summer vacation? Riding our bikes down the creek? Catching polliwogs in a jar? Camping out under the stars? Well, you're wrong! [pause] Somedays I sit there in my office, looking out at you kids in the playground and I think, "They don't know how good they got it. In a few years, they're all going to be grownups like me and all those good times will be memories for them, too". So go ahead. Put a whoopie-cushion in my chair. Cover my carpet with fake vomit. Make fun of my "big, saggy butt". But don't you ever say I don't care about summer vacation, because those memories are the last part of childhood I got left.
[Principal Prickly and TJ are dressed as guards]
- Principal Prickly: You sure this is gonna work, Detweiller?
- TJ: Come on, Principal Prickly. Don't you watch old spy movies? This trick is pure gold.
[they walk up the guards]
- TJ: [deep voice] Uh, Dr. Benedict wanted to speak to us about a very important matter.
- Guard: Hey, you two aren't guards!
- TJ: [normal voice; to Prickly] Ruuuun!
[TJ and Prickly take off down the hall with the guards in pursuit]
- King Bob: I, King Bob, as my last official act before entering middle school, hereby anoint this boy here King Freddie the second.
[He takes off his hat, places it on Freddie's head, and stamps an F on the hat.]
- King Bob: [to King Freddie] May you boss around all of the kids with fairness.
[Miss Finster and Randall find a way to get into the school. Miss Finster opens the basement window.]
- Miss Finster: Bingo!
[She wedges herself through the window, but stops halfway in.]
- Miss Finster: I'm stuck! Curse these bodacious hips of mine! Randall, run back to my place and get the butter.
- Gretchen: I've been studying the moon with the 200-inch telescope at the observatory, and I've discovered some peculiar eccentricities in it's orbit.
- Counselor: You know, Gretchen. Maybe you should try out one of these neat anti-gravity harnesses. The other kids love them, and look - you can even do backflips, just like real astronauts.
- Gretchen: But...
[The counselor flips away. Gretchen sighs.]
- Gretchen: [to herself] Why do I bother?
[Two spacesuits behind Gretchen open their helmets, revealing TJ and Vince]
- TJ: Because you're driven by a passionate desire for knowledge.
- Spinelli: Hey, remember that summer after the second grade when we went down to the pond every day to catch minnows?
- Gretchen: Or how about that summer we all carved our initials on that big tree in the Wilson's backyard?
- Vince: And Spinelli spelled hers wrong.
- Spinelli: Hey, I was seven. And "S"s were tricky.
[Gus begins sobbing]
- Spinelli: What's your problem? This is the first summer you've lived here.
- Gus: I know, and I'll never have any of those memories.
[Gus cries on Gretchen's shoulder.]
[Benedict is interrogating TJ and Principal Prickly in a storage closet]
- Benedict: Same old noble Pete. Always standing up for the rights of children.
- TJ: [to Prickly] You?
- Benedict: But unfortunately, I can't let anybody go right now. You see this experimental, um, night school that I'm running is kind of a secret. I'm trying to show that my...adults students can be trained to be capable and productive members of society.
- TJ: Oh yeah?! Well, if you're just running a night school, then what's that giant laser gun doing in the auditorium?!
[Benedict is offended. The bald guy sits TJ down.]
- Andrew Lawrence as Theodore Jasper "T.J." Detweiller
- Rickey D'Shon Collins as Vince LaSalle
- Jason Davis as Mikey Blumberg (speaking voice)
- Robert Goulet as Mikey Blumberg (singing voice)
- Ashley Johnson as Gretchen Grundler
- Courtland Mead as Gus Griswold
- Pamela Segall as Ashley Spinelli
- Dabney Coleman as Principal Peter Prickly
- James Woods as Dr. Phillium Benedict
- Peter MacNicol as Fenwick
- April Winchell as Miss Muriel Finster / Mrs. Detweiller
- Paul Willson as Mr. Detweiller
- Melissa Joan Hart as Becky Detweiller
- Ryan O'Donohue as Digger Dave / Randall C. Weems
- H.S. Hughes as Miss Finster in deleted scenes
- Allyce Beasley as Miss Grotke
- Dan Castellaneta as Guard #1
- Tony Jay as Dr. Rosenthal
- Nicholas Turturro as Cop #1
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Cop #2
- Clancy Brown as Bald Guy
- Robert Stack as Superintendent
- Erik von Detten as Erwin Lawson / Captain Brad
- R. Lee Ermey as Colonel O'Malley