|This artist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Charlie Rose interview (2001)
- I think if you want to make art, at some point you have to suspend judgment, and you have to involve yourself with play and not worry about the outcome.
- I was in analysis and I told my analyst I wanted to be the best sculptor in the world and he said: "Richard, calm down."
- Space, as my work evolved, really became my subject.
- The steel and the space, or the object and the void, become one and the same.
- Basically, that is my subject: I use steel to organize space.
- To see is to think, and to think is to see.
- Most of what you see in architecture are watered-down ideas of sculptors who have come before.
- Don't start telling me buildings are works of art, because I don't buy it.
- I consider space to be a material.
Quotes about Serra
- Probably the most original and significant sculptor of his generation, certainly the most provocative.