Rio, often promoted as Rio: The Movie or The Rio Movie, is a 2011 American 3D computer-animated musical comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and directed by Carlos Saldanha. The title refers to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, where the film is set. The film features features the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, will.i.am, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez, Tracy Morgan, Jemaine Clement, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro and Jake T. Austin. It tells the story of Blu, a male blue macaw who is taken to Rio de Janeiro to mate with a female. He eventually falls in love with Jewel, a free-spirited macaw, and together they have to escape from being smuggled by Nigel, a cockatoo. The theme song, "Telling the World" was sung by Taio Cruz.
20th Century Fox released the film on March 22, 2011 in Brazil, and on April 15, 2011 in the United States.
- [repeated line] Let's fly!
- Natural instincts? [blows a raspberry] There's nothing natural about being thrown halfway across a room! But I'll show him!
- Maybe we could find a bus schedule or something?
- Yippie-ki-yay, monkey-man!
- [breaking a stare-off] Birds versus monkeys!
- Hey! that's a little to far.
- [to Blu] You think too much! Flying is not what you think up here, it's what you feel in here!
- I don't know how I got up here, but I ain't never coming down!
- This is the split!
- [last lines of the film] I love you, Rio!
- [singing] I'm a feathery freak with a beak, a bird murderer. You think you're badder than me? I never heard o'ya!
- I don't care about your nicked knick-knacks. Your burgled baubles bore me.
- [when she realises she's standing on a float in the middle of the parade; stunned] Cheese and sprinkles!
- But Fernando I Trusted You(A line from The Piano))
- Jewel: Is there anything else I need to know?
- Blu: Yes. I can't fly, I pick my beak, and once in a while I pee in the birdbath! Happy?!
- Mauro: You two are coming with me.
- Jewel: In your little monkey dreams.
- Rafael: [flying alongside trolley, whispering to Blu] Down here! Just tell her: "you have beautiful eyes".
- Blu: That's good! Great idea! [to Jewel; confidently] I have beautiful eyes.
- Jewel: Luiz is a bulldog?
- Luiz: You got something against dogs?
- Jewel: I do when they're drooling on me.
- Luiz: It's a medical condition!
- Blu: Yeah sounds great, it's not like we're just throwing ourselves off of a mountain... right?
- Rafael: Actually, that was pretty much my entire plan.
- Rafael: If our featherless friends can do it, how hard can it be?
- Man on glider: No, wait! [screams] Mommy!
- Rafael: Fun right?
- Blu: Yeah... fun.
- Blu: You see, who needs flying?
- Jewel: Birds! Birds need flying. Flying is... err... freedom, and, and not having to rely on anyone. Don't you want that?
- Blu: Hmm, I don't know. Sounds a little lonely.
- [As she is happily flying, Jewel notices Blu walking away sadly]
- Jewel: Hey, where you going? [Blu ignores her and keeps on walking] Blu? Blu, what's wrong?
- Blu: Nothing. Everything's perfect. You'll be off to the rain forest. I'll be back with Linda. Just like we planned.
- Jewel: I...
- [Nico and Pedro fly down towards them]
- Nico: Hey, birds! Stop yappin' and start flappin'! Let's go!
- Jewel: I...I...I guess I thought maybe...
- Blu: What? That you...you'd come to Minnesota? [Jewel just looks at him] Great! I guess I...I'll knit you a scarf.
- Jewel: No, that's not what I meant.
- Blu: Look Jewel, I can't spend my life walking around following you wherever you're going.
- Jewel: Hey, it's not my fault you can't fly.
- Pedro: [to Nico as they watch Blu and Jewel] Awkward.
- Rafael: [to Blu and Jewel] Okay, okay. You know what? It's just good. Just clear the air. Just be completely honest with each other.
- Blu: You want honesty? [to Rafael and Jewel] Fine, fine, I can be honest. I don't belong here. In fact, I never wanted to even come here in the first place. [stammers] And... and... and you know what? I hate samba!
- [Jewel and Rafael gasps & Nico starts crying into Pedro's wing]
- Pedro: Hey! That's a little too far.
- Nico: Make the mean bird take it back!
- Blu: Yeah, I said it. Every song sounds exactly the same! [sings] Tico taco ya-ya-ya. Tico taco ya-ya-ya! [groans] I'm tico-taco out of here.
- Jewel: [angrily] Fine! See you around, pet! [starts flying away from Blu]
- Rafael: No, no! Wait, wait, wait! Come back! You belong together. You are Juliet to his Romeo! Sure, they both die at the end. But, you get my point! Oh, young love. Always so melodramatic. [to Nico and Pedro] All right, boys. Go after her. [starts flying to Blu] Blu! Come back here, come on!
- Nigel: [catches Jewel as she is flying] Going somewhere, pretty bird?
- Jewel: Oh, yeah! I was just on my way to claw your eyes out! [punches Nigel in the face; Nico and Pedro see Nigel get a hold of Jewel]
- Nigel: Temper. Temper. Now come along, my dear. We're going to a parade. And everybody loves a parade! [flies away with Jewel]
- Jewel: Let go of me!
- Pedro: [as he, along with Nico, watch Nigel take Jewel by force] Hey! Get back here! Ain't nobody mess with a friend of Pedro. I ain't havin' it! It's on! [starts punching the air]
- Nico: What are you on? Did you see the talons on that guy?
- Pedro: Talons? Maybe, it's on next time.
- [Nico and Pedro turn and fly away]
- Pedro: Ralfieeee!
- Nico: Blu! Help!
- Pedro: Help!
- [Cut on Blu walking to Linda, while Rafael starts following him]
- Blu: Rafael, quit following me. You're going in the wrong direction. Isn't carnival that way?
- Rafael: I'm not going to carnival. No, I'm going home.
- Blu: But I thought you loved carnival.
- Rafael: I do. But I love my family much more. And that's a choice I made with this. [points to Blu's heart] Not with this. [points to Blu's head]
- [Jewel and Blu are running away from Nigel]
- Jewel: Aw, this is great. I'm chained to the only bird in the world who can't fly!
- Blu: Well, technically, there are forty species of flightless birds.
- Jewel: Duck!
- Blu: No, ducks can fly.
- Jewel: [notices a crate] No, duck!
- Join the party!
- Love at first fight
- Party fowl
- 1 out of every 8 Americans is afraid of flying. Most of them don't have feathers.
- Jesse Eisenberg — Blu (voice)
- Anne Hathaway — Jewel (voice)
- George Lopez — Rafael (voice)
- will.i.am — Pedro (voice)
- Jamie Foxx — Nico (voice)
- Tracy Morgan — Luiz (voice)
- Jemaine Clement — Nigel (voice)
- Bernardo de Paula — Kipo (voice)
- Wanda Sykes and Jane Lynch — Chloe and Alice (voices)
- Francisco Ramos — Mauro (voice)
- Bebel Gilberto — Eva (voice)
- Leslie Mann — Linda Gunderson (voice)
- Sofia Scarpa Saldanha (the director's daughter) — young Linda (voice)
- Jake T. Austin — Fernando (voice)
- Bernardo de Paula — Sylvio (voice)
- Rodrigo Santoro — Túlio Monteiro (voice)
- Carlos Ponce — Marcel (voice)
- Jeffrey Garcia — Tipa (voice)
- Davi Vieira — Armando (voice)
- w:Bonnie Hunt- Nurse(voice)