Robin Hood (1973 film)
Robin Hood, an animated version of the English legend, was released by the Disney Studios in 1973. The main character in this well-known adaptation is a fox, as is his lover Maid Marian; his foe, Prince John, is a lion, and has a serpent sidekick named Sir Hiss.
- Fear not, my friends. This will be my greatest performance.
- Rob? [clicks tongue] That's a naughty word; we never rob! We just simply borrow a bit from those who can afford it.
- Marry her? You don't just walk up to a girl, hand her a bouquet and say, "Hey, remember me? We were kids together. Will you marry me?"
- Faint hearts never won fair ladies.
- Traitors to the crown!? That crown belongs to King Richard!
- Marian, my darling, I love you more than life itself.
- Robbed! I've been robbed! Hiss! You're never around when I need you! [Finds Sir Hiss] I've been robbed.
- Seize the fat one!
- This crown gives me a feeling of power! *Power!* Forgive me a cruel chuckle. Heh-heh-heh. Power...
- Guards, guards! To the jail! [Notices he is standing in front of the jail] Rhinos! Halt! Stop! Desist!
- [Chasing Sir Hiss into the burning castle] You cowardly cobra! You procrastinating python! You aggravating asp! Ooh, you eel in snake's clothing!
- Mother always did like Richard best....
- To coin a phrase, my dear councilor, rob the poor to feed the rich!
The Sheriff of Nottingham
- Well, greetings from your friendly neighborhood tax collector.
- [Singing to himself] They call me a slob, but I do my job...
- [Arresting Friar Tuck] You're under arrest for high treason to the crown!
- Alan A'Dale: [opening lines] Y'know, there's been a heap o' legends and tall tales about Robin Hood. All different too. Well, we folks in the animal kingdom have our own version. It's the story of what really happened in Sherwood Forest....
- Little John: Aw, of all the luck. It's only a circus! A peanut operation!
- Robin Hood: Peanuts? Why, you dunce, that's the royal coach! It's Prince John himself!
- Little John: The prince? Wait a minute, there's a law against robbing royalty. I'll catch you later.
- Robin Hood: What? And miss this chance to perform before royalty?
- Little John: [groan] Here we go again....
- Mother Rabbit: Oh, you have made his birthday a wonderful one. How can I ever thank you?
- Robin Hood: I only wish I could do more. [hands her a small bag of gold] Keep your chin up. Soon there'll be happiness in Nottingham again, you'll see.
- Prince John: One more hiss out of you, Hiss, and you are walking to Nottingham.
- Sir Hiss: [Muttering to himself] Snakes don't walk, they slither. Hmph. So there.
[Prince John raises his mirror to hit Hiss on the head]
- Sir Hiss: Ah, ah, ahhh!, Ssseven years bad...[John hits him] Luck. That's what it is. Besides you just broke your mother's mirror.
- Prince John: AHHH! Mummy! [sucks thumb]I've got a dirty thumb.
- Sir Hiss: And you...who might you be, sssir?
- Little John: I am Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney....and don't stick your tongue out at me, kid! (addressing Prince John) And now, your mightiness, allow me to lay some protocol on you. (stoops to kiss Prince John's hand)
- Prince John: No no no, but I lose more jewels that way, please sit down.
- Little John: (sitting down on Sir Hiss) Thanks, PJ, you can't get a better seat than this, the royal box....hey...what...who? (Pulling out Hiss) Oh, excuse me, Buster.
- Sir Hiss: Buster?! You, sir, have taken my seat!
- Prince John: [Laughs] Hiss, with you around, who needs a court jester?
- Little John: You heard his mightiness! Move it, Creepy, get lost. Begone, long one.
- Sir Hiss: What a cheek. Creepy, Buster, Long One?
- Robin Hood: (dressed as gypsy) Oo-de-lally!
- Little John: (dressed as gypsy) Fortunes forecast, lucky charms!
- Robin Hood: Catch the dope, with your horoscope!
- Prince John: Fortune tellers, how droll. Stop the coach!
- Sir Hiss: But SSSSire, they may be bandits.
- Prince John: Oh, poppycock! Female bandits? What next...rubbish...(to Robin Hood and Little John) My dear ladies, you have my permission to kiss the royal hands, whichever you like first.
- Robin Hood: Oh, how gracious (kisses hand and removes large ring)... and generous.
- Robin Hood: And for our honeymoon? England?
- Maid Marian: Yes!
- Robin Hood: Normandy?
- Maid Marian: Yes!
- Robin Hood: Sunny Spain?
- Maid Marian: Oh, why not?
- Lady Cluck: And down with that scurrrrvy Prince John!
- Little John: [singing] O the world will sing
- Of an English king
- A thousand years from now,
- And not because
- He passed some laws
- Ahead, that lofty prow.
- While bonny-good King Richard leads the great crusade he's on,
- We all have to slave away for that good-for-nothing John!
- Incredible as he is inept,
- Whenever the history books are kept
- They'll call him the Phony King of England!
- Friar Tuck: A pox on the Phony King of England!
- Little John: He sits alone
- On a giant throne,
- Pretending he's the King.
- A little tyke
- Who's rather like
- A puppet on a string!
- He throws an angry tantrum if he cannot have his way,
- And he calls for Mum,
- While he's sucking his thumb
- You see, he doesn't wanna play.
- Too late to be known as John the First,
- He's sure to be known as John the Worst.
- A pox on that Phony King of England!
- Little John: While he taxes us to pieces and he robs us of our bread
- King Richard's crown
- Keeps slipping down
- Around that pointed head
- Ah, but while there is a merry man in Robin's wily pack
- We'll find a way
- To make him pay
- And steal our money back.
- A minute before he knows we're there,
- Old Rob'll snatch his underwear...
- (the Sheriff of Nottingham has just taken the only coin out of the church's Poor Box)
- Friar Tuck: You thieving scoundrel!
- Sheriff: (trying to sound reasoning) Now, take it easy, Friar, I'm just doing my duty.
- Friar Tuck: Collecting taxes for that arrogant, greedy, ruthless, no-good Prince John?!
- Sheriff: (starting to lose patience) Listen, Friar, you're mighty preachy and you're gonna preach your neck right into a hangman's noose.
- Friar Tuck: GET OUTTA MY CHURCH!! (pushes the Sheriff out) Out! Out! Out! Out! (Attacking the Sheriff with a stick) You want taxes? I'll give you taxes!
- Sir Hiss: SSSire...taxes are pouring in, the jails are full, and OH, good news ssire... Friar Tuck is in jail!
- Prince John: (throwing money everywhere) FRIAR TUCK?! It's ROBIN HOOD I want, you idiot! Oh, I would give all of my gold if I could just get my hands on.... (turning to Hiss) Did you say Friar Tuck?
- Sir Hiss: Did I...oh yes, I did.
- Prince John: Ah. Hiss - I have it. I'll use that fat friar as bait to trap Robin Hood!
- Friar Tuck: Oh, for heaven's sake, son! You're no outlaw! Why, some day you'll be called a great hero!
- Robin Hood: A hero? You hear that, Johnny? We've just been pardoned!
- Little John: That's rich, we haven't even been arrested yet!
IMDb: Robin Hood (1973)
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|