Rose Red (TV miniseries)
Rose Red (also known as Stephen King's Rose Red) is a television miniseries scripted by horror novelist Stephen King. The series was premiered in the United States on ABC on January 27, 2002. The story involves a cavernous Seattle mansion called Rose Red, which is investigated by parapsychologist Dr. Joyce Reardon and a team of psychics.
- I've got the makings of a good group. But these people are candles. Annie Wheaton's a searchlight. If anyone can wake up Rose Red, she can.
- You could get out of the way or you could get run over; those were the options. In the summer of 1909, you were on your own.
- The final official addition to Rose Red was the Tower Folly, built in the 1950's. A few additional sections were built according to the will of Ellen Rimbauer. From there on, Rose Red grew on its own.
- How beautiful you are, Rose Red.
- Houses... are alive. This is something we know. News from our nerve endings. If we're quiet, if we listen, we can hear houses breathe. Sometimes, in the depth of the night, you can even hear them groan. It's as if they were having bad dreams. A good house cradles and comforts; a bad one fills us with instinctive unease. Bad houses hate our warmth and our human-ness. That blind hate of our humanity is what we mean when we use the word 'haunted'.
- Rose Red won't let you have what you want, Joyce. It won't let anyone have what they want. Ellen Rimbauer designed it to break hearts as hers was broken, to hurt as she was hurt.
- [To Sister] Sweetheart, taking Annie into a genuinely haunted house? I mean, that's like using your cigarette lighter to see how full your gas tank is!
- Lots to do, hmm? Spirits to find? Ghosts to bust?
- [As one of Rose Red's ghosts] You were right, Joyce. Right the whole time. There is another side, and it's wonderful. Wonderful!
- Emery: That's Momma's little scoot-about.
- Sister: That's what?
- Emery: Momma's little scoot-about. Sometimes we scoot-about for ice cream and sometimes we scoot-about to the movies... don't look at me like that.
- [Mrs. Waterman has just lunged out of the wine cellar is strangling Cathy]
- Nick: I beg your pardon. Would you mind awfully letting her go?
- Kay Waterman: [Looks at Nick but doesn't stop] AAAAAAAHHHHHH!
- Nick: I guess not.
- [Nick takes out a billiards ball and throws it at Mrs. Waterman, knocking her out]
- Nick: Are you all right?
- Cathy: [Gasping] I think so- but, what about her?
- Nick: You really are a good Christian woman, aren't you?
- Kay Waterman: Liar! Limey jack-taw!
- Nick: Limey jack-taw! I've been called many things, but never that.