John Russell, 1st Earl Russell
(Redirected from Russell, John)
John Russell, 1st Earl Russell, KG, GCMG, PC (18 August 1792 – 28 May 1878), known as Lord John Russell before 1861, was a British Whig and Liberal politician who served twice as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in the mid-19th century.
- It is impossible that the whisper of a faction should prevail against the voice of a nation.
- Letter to T. Attwood, October 1831, after the rejection in the House of Lords of the Reform Bill (7 October 1831).
- If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace.
- Greenock, 19 September 1853
- [A proverb is] one man's wit, and all men's wisdom.
|This political figure or monarch article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|