Campaign for "santorum" neologism
The campaign for "santorum" neologism was initiated by American columnist and gay rights activist Dan Savage in 2003 to associate the surname of then-Senator Rick Santorum with a sexual act. He created a website called "Spreading Santorum" to promote the definition, which became a prominent search result for the senator's name on several search engines.
- the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.
- Brewer, Paul Ryan (2007). Value War: Public Opinion and the Politics of Gay Rights. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.. pp. 82-86. ISBN 9780742562110.
- In the 'for what it's worth' department, the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex is called santorum. ... Safety Warning #6: Be particularly cautious where this santorum goes. As previously noted, you don't want to get any fecal matter in the vaginal area. Bad safety risk.
- Rubel, Robert J. (2007). Squirms, Screams and Squirts: Going from Great Sex to Extraordinary Sex. Nazca Plains Corp. pp. 64-65. ISBN 1887895647.
- After telling a reporter that he likes homosexuals just fine -- provided we refrain from engaging in homosexual acts -- Mr. Santorum came out in support of laws against sodomy.
- Striking down an insulting, discriminatory, unconstitutional law will not, as Santorum fears, open the doors to incest, adultery, bigamy, and bestiality. Straight people blew those doors off their hinges long, long ago.
- There's no better way to memorialize the Santorum scandal than by attaching his name to a sex act that would make his big, white teeth fall out of his big, empty head.
- There was no name for it. It wasn't competing with anything. It's unwelcome. If you're doing [anal sex] right, it's not gonna happen, and if it happens, it's a bit of a killjoy, which is what it would be if the actual senator strolled into the room.
- While Santorum would have been defeated even without a filthy, lowercase definition of his last name floating around out there, having a name that can barely be mentioned in polite company anymore didn't help.... We helped to make Rick Santorum into a national laughingstock — with an invaluable assist from Rick Santorum, of course.
- I do have issues — I have lots of issues — but I take particular issue with politicians who compare loving, stable same-sex relationships to ‘man on dog’ sex, as Santorum has done, or who would ban same-sex marriage and adoptions by same-sex couples, as Santorum has promised to do if he gets elected president.
- If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual (gay) sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery.
- It’s one guy. You know who it is. The Internet allows for this type of vulgarity to circulate. It’s unfortunate that we have someone who obviously has some issues. But he has an opportunity to speak.
- I don’t see it as a problem at all.
- Moody, Chris (April 28, 2011). "Santorum says he has no plans to fix his ‘Google problem’". The Daily Caller. Retrieved on May 9, 2011.
- It's a free country and people can do and say what they want to say.
Use in fiction
- She wads up the t-shirt, uses it to wipe a trickle of santorum from her ass, and throws it under the cot.
- Dunn, Jack R. (2005). Hard. p. 134.
- Then, one of them broke ranks and rammed his blood-lubed fist straight up my ass and twisted hard, pulled it out and licked the santorum clean.
- Polney, Richard J. (2008). "A Horrible Night of Research and Erudite Bloodletting". in Pierce, Christopher. Men on the Edge: Dangerous Erotica. STARbooks Press. p. 38. ISBN 978-1934187289.
- Any residents not burned alive in the fires or drowned in the flood will be made to drink a mixture of bodily fluids typically deposited in on the streets during Mardi Gras until death. The mixture should consist of (but is not limited to) sweat, snot, urine, saliva, tears, vomit, sexual fluids, and feces and santorum.
- James, Austen (2008). Hate Starve Curse. Broken Science Press. p. 30. ISBN 978-148235028.
Use in music
- I'll fuck you till my dick's dry / Squirt santorum in my eye
- This year the strongest contender was santorum.... We dismissed one potential problem — that newspapers wouldn't print the term if it won — on the grounds that we shouldn't censor ourselves. And indeed... santorum did win, but many newspapers simply skipped this category in their coverage. So much for academic freedom.
- Sheidlower, Jesse (January 11, 2005). "Linguists Gone Wild! Why "wardrobe malfunction" wasn't the word of the year.". Slate (Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Co. LLC; www.slate.com; Section: Dispatches). Retrieved on December 19, 2006.
- Possibly the longest-lasting pop-culture reference to Santorum is that of sex columnist Dan Savage (carried here in Philadelphia Weekly), who started what's become a popular campaign to use the senator's surname to describe a byproduct of anal sex.
- Gross, Dan (April 18, 2006). "Tony S. likes 'Sanatorium'". Philadelphia Daily News: p. 37.
- Savage was persistent, and his efforts met with success — among other honors, the American Dialect Society named it their Most Outrageous Word of the Year. Since 2004, I'd wanted to use SANTORUM as soon as possible, and was happy to have the opportunity here. I think crosswords should embrace interesting neologisms, warts and all.
- Tausig, Ben (2007). Gonzo Crosswords. Sterling. p. 89. ISBN 1402742789.
- Long before Savage successfully campaigned to turn anti-gay Senator Rick Santorum's last name into a hilariously insulting noun, Landers laid the groundwork for such subversive political activism.
- Sullivan, Catey (June 5, 2008). "No question: 'Answer lady' is utterly perfect". The Antioch Review (Pioneer Press).
- Like Savage's methods or not, they were successful and arguably had an impact on Santorum's ultimate defeat. ... If Santorum actually thinks he has a shot at president, his opponents will surely dredge this bit of dirty silliness from his past and use it to make him appear like a joke candidate.
- Santorum also has a Google problem. His position on gay rights prompted liberal gay rights activist and columnist Dan Savage to redefine 'santorum' as an explicit aspect of gay sex, and if you Google his last name the result is the first to show up.
- American Dialect Society's Word of the Year, Most Outrageous category (2004)
- January 3, 2012 Urban Word of the Day, Urban Dictionary
- Spreading Santorum, official website created by Dan Savage to document the spread of the phenomenon
- Santorum, background at Rotten.com
- Santorum, analysis of the phenomenon at Know Your Meme by Rocketboom