- Directed and written by Joss Whedon.
River Tam 
- I swallowed a bug.
- [Sobbing] Put a bullet to me. Bullet in the brain pan. Squish!
- People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think. Don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
Hoban "Wash" Washburne 
- Let's go back to the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a ninety-pound girl, 'cause I don't think that's ever gonna get old.
- I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Jayne Cobb 
- Explode!? I don't wanna explode!
- Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
- [To Mal, as the Reavers are chasing them] Gee, it sure would've been nice to have some grenades don'tcha think?!
- Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid--mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
- Mal, she is starting to damage my calm!
Mr. Universe 
- It was a very beautiful ceremony. Lenore wrote her own vows. I cried. Like a baby. A hungry, angry baby.
- [Watching the video of River taking down dozens of men in a bar.] You guys always bring me the very best violence.
- Bring it on, bring it on, bring it on. From here to the eyes and the ears of the 'verse, that's my motto. Or at least it would be, if I start having a motto.
- Can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.
- Wash: Well, if she doesn't get us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn-through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
- Mal: Define "interesting"?
- Wash: [deadpan] "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die"?
- Mal: [over intercom] This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.
- [Preparing to leave the ship]
- Mal: Understand your part in all this?
- River: . . . Do you?
- Mal: This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do.
- [Mal's Mule crashes into Serenity's bay. Simon, who stayed behind, rushes to River asking if she's all right. Kaylee, who also stayed behind, rushes to Simon.]
- Kaylee: [to Simon] Are you okay?
- Mal: Is he okay?!
- Zoë: Cap'n didn't make 'em fugitives.
- Kaylee: But he coulda made 'em family! 'Steada keepin' Simon from seein' I was there. And I carried such a torch, and we coulda... Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!
- Mal: [shocked] Oh, God! I can't know that!
- Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more.
- [After the crew, eavesdropping on a 'wave between Mal and Inara, sees Inara invite the crew to join her at the companion training house]
- Wash: Inara. Nice to see her again.
- Zoë: So... trap?
- Mal: Trap.
- Zoë: Are we going in?
- Mal: Oh, it ain't but a few hours out.
- Wash: Yeah, but, remember the part where it's a trap?
- Kaylee: But how can you be sure Inara don't just wanna see you? Sometimes people have feelings. And I'm referring here to people.
- Mal: You all were watching, I take it?
- Kaylee: Yes.
- Mal: Did you see us fight?
- Kaylee: No.
- Mal: Trap.
- Mal: Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket--
- Inara: Mal, what are you doing here!?
- Mal: You invited me.
- Inara: I never thought for a second you'd be stupid enough to come!
- Mal: Well, that makes you kind of a tease, doesn't it?
- Mal: She is a mite unpredictable. Mood swings, of a sort.
- The Operative: It's worse than you know.
- Mal: It usually is.
- The Operative: That girl will rain destruction down on you and your ship. She is an albatross, Captain.
- Mal: The way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck, 'til some idiot killed it. [to Inara] Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.
- [Mal and the crew watch a holographic report on the Mirandans' fate]
- Dr. Caron: There's thirty million people here, and they just let themselves die.
- [Everyone jumps at the sound of a brutal attack in the distance.]
- Dr. Caron: I have to be quick! About a tenth of a percent of the population had the opposite reaction to the Pax. Their aggressor response increased beyond madness. They have become…
- [A crash is heard in the background, now closer]
- Dr. Caron: [sobs] Well, they've killed most of us. And not just killed… they've done things…
- Wash: [Realises] Reavers... They made them.
- Dr. Caron: I won't live to report this, but people have to know. We meant it for the best… to make people safer.
- Mal: This report is maybe twelve years old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I’m asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people…better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.
- Jayne: Shepherd Book used to tell me, "If you can't do somethin' smart... do somethin' right."
- Simon: My one regret in all of this is never being with you.
- Kaylee: With me? You mean to say as... sex?
- Simon: [nods] I mean to say...
- Kaylee: [cocks her gun] Hell with this. I'm gonna live!
- The Operative: Do you know what your sin is, Mal?
- Mal: Ah, hell, I'm a fan of all seven. But right now, I'm gonna have to go with wrath.
- Mal: It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
- River: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
- Mal: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
- Can't stop the signal.
- Space Pirates on the run!
- They're armed. She's dangerous.
- This is one "River" you do not want to cross.
- The future is worth fighting for.
- They aim to misbehave.
- Nathan Fillion - Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds
- Gina Torres - Zoë Washburne
- Alan Tudyk - Hoban "Wash" Washburne
- Morena Baccarin - Inara Serra
- Adam Baldwin - Jayne Cobb
- Jewel Staite - Kaylee Frye
- Sean Maher - Dr. Simon Tam
- Summer Glau - River Tam
- Ron Glass - Shepherd Book
- Chiwetel Ejiofor - The Operative