Short Circuit is a 1986 comedy science fiction film about a robot, #5, who short circuits during a thunderstorm and escapes from Nova Robotics. He has been designed as a weapon, and his designer Newton Crosby (played by Steve Guttenberg) and the others at Nova are concerned he might be dangerous. Meanwhile, #5 is being protected by Stephanie Speck (played by Ally Sheedy).
- Attractive. Nice software!
- Squash, dead. Disassemble, dead. Disassemble...! [panics] DEAD!!
- Frankie, ya broke the unwritten law. Ya ratted out your friends. You do that, Frankie, your enemies don't respect ya. You got no friends anymore. You've got nobody, Frankie. [normal voice] Pretty good, huh?
- Jerk of the world, turkey, idiot, pain in the ass!
- Colt 45, semi-automatic. [crushes colt] Clay dough.
- [sees Number 5 in her truck at night] Oh, my God! I knew they'd pick me. I just knew it!
- Originally I had non-military purposes in mind. I designed it as a marital aid.
- Maybe we have created another Frankfurter's monster.
- [to Crosby] Hi, honey. What is for dinner?
- [to Stephanie] Bye-bye, goofy woman. I enjoyed repeatedly throwing you to the ground.
- I am standing here beside myself.
- Eat my dust, Newton Crosby. Let us break wind! [retreats]
- Skroeder: [about Number 5, who is malfunctioning] Maybe it's pissed off.
- Crosby: It's a machine, Skroeder. It doesn't get pissed off. It doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it doesn't laugh at your jokes.
- Ben and Crosby: It just runs programs.
- Howard: It usually runs programs.
- Crosby: Where are you from, anyway?
- Ben: Bakersfield, originally.
- Crosby: No, I mean your ancestors.
- Ben: Oh, them. Pittsburgh.
- [when Crosby and Ben take Number 1 to find Number 5]
- Howard: Great. So, instead of $11,000,000 on the loose, we'll have 22,000,000.
- Ben: Also we are needing gas money.
- Ben: Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?
- Number 5: Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?
- Something wonderful has happened...No. 5 is alive.
- Life is not a malfunction.