Slap Shot is a 1977 film starring Paul Newman and Michael Ontkean and directed by George Roy Hill. The film is based on a book written by Nancy Dowd, based in part on her brother Ned Dowd's experiences playing minor league hockey in the United States in the seventies, during which time violence, especially in the low minors, was the selling point of the game.
- Directed by George Roy Hill.
Reggie Dunlop 
- Jesus Christ, what a fuckin' nightmare.
- I'd like to place a personal bounty on the head of Tim McCracken. He's the coach and chief punk on that Syracuse team.
- [baiting the opposing Goalie from behind the net] Hey Hanrahan! Suzanne sucks pussy! She's a dyke! I know! I know! A lesbian! A lesbian! A lesbian!
The Hanson Brothers 
- Well Reg is our coach.
Yeah, sure, Old Time Hockey!
Like Eddie Shore.
Eddie Shore, yeah.
Coach... our line starts?
- [to Ogie Ogilthorpe] Hi, Ogie! Buy ya a soda after the game?
- Hey ya think they show Speed Racer here?
- I'm listening to the fucking song!!!
- Ned Braden: You take the van, I'll keep the dog.
- Jim Carr: I may be bald, but at least I'm not chicken-shit!
- Denis Lemieux: [discussing hockey rules and customs, in broken English] Icing 'appen when dee puck come down... Bang! You know... before dee udder guy. Nobody dere. My h'arm go comme ça, den dee game stop den start h'up.
- Reggie Dunlop: What are you guys doing?
- Steve Hanson: Puttin' on the foil!
- Jeff Hanson: Every game!
- Jack Hanson: Yeah, you want some?
- [Chiefs fashion show]
- Jim Ahern: I look like some cocksuckin' FAGGOT!
- Johnny Upton: I'm gonna flash them, Joe!
- Joe McGrath: Aw jeez, son...
- Johnny Upton: Yes I am! I'm gonna walk down that stinkin' aisle, and open this faggot bathrobe and wiggle my dick at 'em!
- Joe McGrath: You WILL not.
- Johhny Upton: Yes I am, Joe, and you know why? Because I want you to have a heart attack and die so that we never have to do this shit again. You and your fuckin' fashion shows.
- Joe McGrath: It's good publicity! You boys just haven't been bringing in the crowds like you used to.
- Johnny Upton: I'm telling you, ya better be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience with the exception of my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits!
- [storms out; moments later the audience breaks into horrified screams]
- Reggie Dunlop: You guys triplets or something?
- Jack Hanson: Nah, I am in the middle... Steve's 20 and Jeff's 18.
- Reggie Dunlop: Where ya from?
- Jack Hanson: Iron League.
- Reggie Dunlop: The Iron League, huh? Lotta fights?
- Jack Hanson: Nah... Hey I want a a soda.
- Reggie Dunlop: We paid for you here for a week then you gotta find a room of your own.
- Jack Hanson: Okay, coach. Gimme a grape or an orange and none of that stinkin' root beer.
- [after meeting the Hansons]
- Reggie Dunlop: You cheap sonofabitch. Are you crazy, those guys are retards!
- McGrath: I got a good deal on those boys. Scout said they showed a lot of promise.
- Reggie Dunlop: They brought their fuckin toys with 'em!
- McGrath: I'd rather have them playing with their toys than playing with themselves.
- Reggie Dunlop: They're too dumb to play with themselves! Boy, every piece of garbage that comes into the league, you gotta buy it.
- McGrath: Reg... Reg, that reminds me, I was coaching in Omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who's a terrible masturbator. Couldn't control himself. He would get deliberate penalities so he could get all by himself in the penalty box, and damned if he wouldn't, you know... [pantomimes whacking off]
- Reggie Dunlop: [disgusted] Aw, Jesus, Joe...
- Reggie Dunlop: She underlines the fuck scenes for ya? Jesus, if she underlines the fuck scenes for ya, she must worship the ground you walk on.
- Ned Braden: They teach you how to underline in college.
- Reggie Dunlop: Not the fuck scenes, they don't. Braden, you gotta learn to put out more, you know what I mean?
- Reggie Dunlop: You know, your son looks like a fag to me. You better get married again, 'cause he's gonna wind up with somebody's cock in his mouth before you can say "Jack Robinson".
- Anita McCambridge: How dare you. How DARE you!
- Johnny Upton: They're fuckin' horrible looking.
- Reggie Dunlop: Don't look at me; it was McGrath's doing, not mine.
- Johnny Upton: What the old man trade for these assholes, a used puck bag? Watch Braden, he's gonna do something.
- Ned Braden: Hi. Are you guys brothers?
- Johnny Upton: Are you guys brothers... [laughs] What a life!
- Tim McCracken: Dunlop, you suck cock.
- Reggie Dunlop: All I can get.
- Joe McGrath: You can't put a bounty on a man's head.
- Reggie Dunlop: I just did.
- Reggie Dunlop: Let 'em know you're there! Get that stick in their side, let 'em know you're there! Put some fuckin' lumber in their teeth, let 'em know you're there!
- Ned Braden: [sarcastically] Bleed all over 'em, let 'em know you're there.
- Reggie Dunlop: Lard ass Barkley Donaldson. You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, he challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES! But Dave was there.
- The Hansons: [in unison] Dave's a killer!
- Johnny Upton: Dave's a mess...
- Reggie Dunlop: But Dave's out. Who's gonna take his place?
- Ned Braden: Is the answer Jesus?
- Reggie Dunlop: [glares at Braden] Okay, guys. [looks directly to the Hansons] Show us what you got!
- Joe McGrath: They've come tonight.. to scout the Chiefs, the toughest team in the Federal League. Not this... bunch of... pussies. [stomps out out locker room]
- Reggie Dunlop: Scouts?
- Paul Newman - Reggie Dunlop
- Paul D'Amato - Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken
- Strother Martin - Joe McGrath
- Michael Ontkean - Ned Braden
- Jennifer Warren - Francine Dunlop
- Lindsay Crouse - Lily Braden
- Jerry Houser - Dave 'Killer' Carlson
- Andrew Duncan - Jim Carr
- Jeff Carlson - Jeff Hanson
- Steve Carlson - Steve Hanson
- David Hanson - Jack Hanson
- Yvon Barrette - Denis Lemieux
- Allan Nicholls - Johnny Upton
- Brad Sullivan - Morris Wanchuk
- Stephen Mendillo - Jim Ahern
- Yvan Ponton - Jean Guy Drouin
- Matthew Cowles - Charlie
- Kathryn Walker - Anita McCambridge
- Melinda Dillon - Suzanne Hanrahan
- M. Emmet Walsh - Dickie Dunn
- Swoosie Kurtz - Shirley Upton
- Ronald L. Docken - Lebrun
- Guido Tenesi - Billy Charlebois
- Jean Rosario Tetreault - Bergeron
- Christopher Murney - Hanrahan
- Myron Odegaard - Final Game Referee
- Blake Ball - Gilmore Tuttle
- Ned Dowd - Ogie Ogilthorpe
- Gracie Head - Pam
- Nancy N. Dowd - Andrea
- Barbara L. Shorts - Bluebird
- Larry Block - Peterboro Referee
- Paul Dooley - Hyannisport Announcer
- Mark Bousquet - Andre "Poodle" Lussier
- Connie Madigan - Ross "Mad Dog" Madison
- Joe Nolan - Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown
- Cliff Thompson - Walt Comisky (bus driver)