Sleepless in Seattle
- Shut up, shut up?! Mom never said shut up to me! Mom never yelled at me!
- Move on. Right. That's what I'm going to do. In a few months, I'll be fine, I'll just grow a new heart.
- Look, we had a tough time at first, but we're dealing with it. Jonah and I will get along fine again...as soon as I break his radio.
- I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car. And I knew. It was like... magic.
- Mommy got sick. And it happened just like that. There was nothing anybody could do. It isn't fair. There's no reason. But if we start asking why, we'll go crazy.
- Jonah: Dad, she's a doctor.
- Sam: How do you know? Her first name could be "Doctor."
- Barbara: I was in Atlantic City with my family. Cliff was a waiter. He wasn't even supposed to work that night, and suppose he hadn't? He asked me to take a midnight walk on the Steel Pier. I've probably told you this a million times, but I don't care. And then he held my hand. At one point I looked down and I couldn't tell which fingers were his and which were mine. And I knew.
- ANNIE: What?
- BARBARA: You know.
- ANNIE: What?
- BARBARA: Magic. It was magic.
- ANNIE: Magic.
- BARBARA: I knew we would be together forever, and that everything would be wonderful, just the way you feel about Walter. Walter. It's quite a formal name, isn't it?
- MAGGIE: What did I used to say? Here's looking at you? Here's mud in your eye?
- SAM: Here's to us. You used to say here's to us. Oh babe. I miss you so much it hurts.
- SAM: I'd much rather just see somebody I like, and get a feeling about them, and ask them if they want to have a drink.
- JONAH: -- or a slice of pizza --
- SAM: Not dinner. Not necessarily on the first date because halfway through dinner you could be really sorry you asked them to dinner. Whereas if it's just a drink, if you like them you can always ask them for dinner but if not, you can just say, "Well, that was great," and then you go home. If you see what I mean. (beat) I wonder if it still works this way.
- JONAH: It doesn't. They ask you.
- SAM: I'm starting to notice that.
- ANNIE: Now those were the days when people knew how to be in love.
- BECKY: You're a basket case.
- ANNIE: They knew it. Time, distance, nothing could separate them. Because they knew. It was right. It was real. It was...
- BECKY: .. a movie. (beat) That's your problem. You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie.
- Tom Hanks as Sam Baldwin
- Meg Ryan as Annie Reed
- Bill Pullman as Walter
- Ross Malinger as Jonah Baldwin
- Rosie O'Donnell as Becky
- Gaby Hoffmann as Jessica
- Victor Garber as Greg
- Rita Wilson as Suzy
- Barbara Garrick as Victoria
- Carey Lowell as Maggie Baldwin
- David Hyde Pierce as Dennis Reed
- Dana Ivey as Claire Bennett
- Rob Reiner as Jay
- Kevin O'Morrison as Cliff Reed