Sleepless in Seattle
- Shut up, shut up?! Mom never told me to shut up!
- Move on. Right. That's what I'm going to do. In a few months, I'll be fine, I'll just grow a new heart.
- Look, we had a tough time at first, but I think I'm holding my own as a dad, and Jonah and I will get along fine again as soon as I break his radio.
- I don't know. When I met my wife, it was so clear. I just knew. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a cab. And it was like... magic.
- The hopes are perfect -- beautiful, identical, smooth -- and they are for something really amazing I feel it in my bones --
- Mommy got sick. And it happened just like that. There was nothing anybody could do. It isn't fair. There's no reason. But if we start asking why, we'll go crazy.
- I know, I know. Look, it doesn't happen twice.
- I'm going to meet someone, someone nice and stable who wears a hat so he won't catch a cold, and I'm going to marry him and have three children and live happily ever after. I mean, I am not cut out for this.
- For what?
- For life as we know it.
- Jonah: Dad, she's a doctor.
Sam: How do you know? Her first name could be "Doctor."
- Barbara: I was in Atlantic City with my family. Cliff was a waiter. He talked me into sneaking out for a midnight walk on the Steel Pier. I've probably told you this a million times, but I don't care. And then he held my hand. I was scared. All sorts of thing were going through my head. But after a while I forgot about them. At one point I looked down, at our hands, and I couldn't tell which fingers were mine and which were his. And I knew.
- ANNIE: What?
- BARBARA: You know.
- ANNIE: What?
- BARBARA: Magic. It was magic.
- ANNIE: Magic.
- BARBARA: I knew we would be together forever, and that everything would be wonderful, just the way you feel about Walter. Walter. It's quite a formal name, isn't it?
- MAGGIE: What did I used to say? Here's looking at you?
- SAM: Here's to us. You used to say here's to us. Oh babe. I miss you so much it hurts.
- SAM: You see someone you like, you get a feeling about them, you ask them if they want to have a drink or --
- JONAH: -- a slice of pizza --
- SAM: But not dinner necessarily on the first date because by the time you're halfway through dinner you might be sorry you asked them to dinner whereas if it's just a drink, if you like them you can always ask them for dinner but if you don't you can go home if you see what I mean. (beat) I wonder if it still works this way.
- JONAH: It doesn't. They ask you.
- SAM: I'm starting to notice that.
- ANNIE: Now those were the days when people knew how to be in love.
- BECKY: You're a basket case.
- ANNIE: They knew it. Time, distance, nothing could separate them. Because they knew. It was right. It was real. It was...
- BECKY: .. movie. (beat) That's your problem. You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie.