Terms used in lieu of soil include terra, dirt, and, as applicable, land and ground.
- Man has only a thin layer of soil between himself and starvation.
- Bard of Cincinnati; reported as unverified in Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations (1989).
- The soil is the great connector of our lives, the source and destination of all.
- Wendell Berry, The Unsettling of America (1977).
- “We are able to breathe, drink, and eat in comfort because millions of organisms and hundreds of processes are operating to maintain a liveable environment, but we tend to take nature's services for granted because we don't pay money for most of them.”
- “The fate of the soil system depends on society's willingness to intervene in the market place, and to forego some of the short-term benefits that accrue from 'mining' the soil so that soil quality and fertility can be maintained over the longer term.”
- Eugene Odum (1993) Ecology and our endangered life-support systems. p.143