|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Languages never stand still. Modern spelling crystallises lost pronunciations: the visual never quite catches up with the aural.
- Anthony Burgess, A Mouthful of Air: Language and Languages, Especially English (1992)
- If the professors of English will complain to me that the students who come to the universities, after all those years of study, still cannot spell "friend," I say to them that something's the matter with the way you spell friend.
- Richard Feynman, The Meaning of It All (1999)
- Spelling checkers (sometimes called "spell checkers" by people who need syntax checkers) ...
- Bruno Martins and Mário J. Silva, Spelling correction for search engine queries, Proceedings of EsTAL-04, España for Natural Language Processing (2004).
- My spelling is Wobbly. It’s good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
- A. A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh, in Winnie-the-Pooh, ch. 6 (1926)
- With the aid of my all-important spelling correction program, I can be confident of my presentation. Do I fear that I will lose my ability to spell as a result of overreliance on this technological crutch? What ability? Actually, my spelling is improving through the use of this spelling corrector that continually points out my errors and suggests corrections.
- Donald Norman, The Design of Everyday Things (1988), Ch. 7
- As to spelling the very frequent word though with six letters instead of two, it is impossible to discuss it, as it is outside the range of common sanity. In comparison such a monstrosity as phlegm for flem is merely disgusting.
- George Bernard Shaw, The Author (Summer 1944)
- They spell it Vinci and pronounce it Vinchy; foreigners always spell better than they pronounce.
- Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, ch. 19 (1869)