Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Paramount Pictures, 1986) is the fourth feature film based on the popular Star Trek science fiction television series. It completes the trilogy started in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and continued in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. This film is known colloquially as "The One with the Whales."
- Directed by Leonard Nimoy. Written by Leonard Nimoy, Harve Bennett, Steve Meerson, Peter Krikes, and Nicholas Meyer.
- The cast and crew of Star Trek wish to dedicate this film to the men and women of the spaceship Challenger whose courageous spirit shall live to the 23rd century and beyond...
- [Opening dedication text]
- Sarek: Klingon justice is a unique point of view, Mr. President. Genesis was perfectly named-- the creation of life, not death. The Klingons shed the first blood while attempting to possess its secrets.
- Klingon Ambassador: Vulcans are well-known as the intellectual puppets of this Federation.
- Sarek: Your vessel did destroy U.S.S. Grissom. Your men did kill Kirk's son. Do you deny these events?
- Klingon Ambassador: [proudly] We deny nothing. We have the right to preserve our race.
- Sarek: You have the right to commit murder?
- Leonard McCoy: You think they could at least send us a ship. It's bad enough to be court-martialed and to have to spend the rest of our lives mining borite, but to have to go home in this Klingon flea trap!
- James T. Kirk: You could learn a thing or two from this flea trap, it's got a cloaking device that costs us a lot.
- Leonard McCoy: I just wish we could cloak out the stench.
- Spock: Admiral, may I ask you a question?
- James T. Kirk: Spock, don't call me Admiral. You used to call me Jim. Don't you remember "Jim"? What's your question?
- Spock: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall I say, more colorful metaphors-- "Double dumb-ass on you" and so forth.
- Kirk: You mean the profanity?
- Spock: Yes.
- Kirk: That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays any attention to you unless you swear every other word. You'll find it in all the literature of the period.
- Spock: For example?
- Kirk: [thinks] Oh, the complete works of Jacqueline Susann, the novels of Harold Robbins....
- Spock: Ah... The giants.
- Pavel Chekov: Admiral, we have found the nuclear wessel.
- James T. Kirk: Well done, team two.
- Chekov: And, Admiral... it is the Enterprise.
- [Kirk and Spock look at each other]
- Kirk: Understood. What's your plan?
- Chekov: We will beam in tonight, collect the photons, and beam out. No one will ever know we were there.
- Kirk: Understood and approved. Keep me informed. Kirk out.
- [Pavel Chekov is being interrogated]
- Interrogator: Ok, let's take it from the top.
- Pavel Chekov: The top of what?
- Interrogator: Name.
- Chekov: My name?
- Interrogator: [sarcastically] No, my name!
- Chekov: I do not know your name.
- Interrogator: You play games with me mister, and you're through!
- Chekov: I am? May I go now?
- Federation President: Bring in the accused.
- [Enterprise crew files into the council chamber; Spock stands and joins them in line.]
- Federation President: Captain Spock, you do not stand accused.
- Spock: Mr. President, I stand with my shipmates.
- Federation President: As you wish. The charges and specifications are - conspiracy; assault on Federation officers; theft of Federation property, namely the starship Enterprise; sabotage of the USS Excelsior; willful destruction of Federation property, specifically the aforementioned USS Enterprise; and finally, disobeying direct orders of the Starfleet commander. Admiral Kirk, how do you plead?
- Kirk: On behalf of all of us Mr. President, I am authorized to plead guilty.
- President: So entered. Because of certain mitigating circumstances, all charges but one are summarily dismissed. The remaining charge, disobeying orders of a superior officer, is directed solely at Admiral Kirk. I'm sure the admiral will recognize the necessity of keeping discipline in any chain of command?
- Kirk: I do, sir.
- President: James T. Kirk, it is the judgment of this council that you be reduced in rank to captain. And that as a consequence of your new rank, you be given the duties for which you have demonstrated unswerving ability, the command of a starship. Captain Kirk, you and your crew have saved this planet from its own short-sightedness, and we are forever in your debt.
- Spock: Father.
- Sarek: I am returning to Vulcan within the hour, I wanted to take my leave of you.
- Spock: It was most kind of you to make this effort.
- Sarek: It was no effort. You are my son. Besides, I'm most impressed with your performance during this crisis.
- Spock: Most kind.
- Sarek: As I recall, I opposed your enlistment in Starfleet... It is possible that judgment was incorrect. Your associates are people of good character.
- Spock: They are my friends.
- Sarek: Yes, of course. Do you have a message for your mother?
- Spock: Yes, tell her...I feel fine. Live long and prosper, Father.
- Sarek: Live long and prosper, my son.
- [The crew is pondering what their ship will be.]
- Leonard McCoy: The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe. We'll get a freighter.
- Hikaru Sulu: With all respect, Doctor, I'm counting on Excelsior.
- Montgomery Scott: Excelsior? Why in God's name would you want that bucket of bolts?
- Kirk: A ship is a ship.
- Scott: Whatever you say, sir. Thy will be done.
- [The new U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A emerges.]
- Kirk: My friends... we've come home.
|William Shatner||James T. Kirk|
|Leonard Nimoy||Captain Spock|
|DeForest Kelley||Dr. Leonard McCoy|
|James Doohan||Montgomery Scott|
|George Takei||Commander Hikaru Sulu|
|Walter Koenig||Commander Pavel Chekov|
|Nichelle Nichols||Commander Uhura|
|Majel Barrett||Commander Christine Chapel|
|Grace Lee Whitney||Janice Rand|
|Mark Lenard||Ambassador Sarek|
|Jane Wyatt||Amanda Grayson|
|Catherine Hicks||Dr. Gillian Taylor|
|John Schuck||Klingon Ambassador|
|Robert Ellenstein||Federation President|
|Brock Peters||Admiral Cartwright|
|Robin Curtis||Lieutenant Saavik|
|Madge Sinclair||Saratoga Captain (uncredited)|
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home at StarTrek.com
|Quotes for other Star Trek television series and feature films|
The Original Series · The Animated Series · The Next Generation · Deep Space Nine · Voyager · Enterprise
The Motion Picture · II: The Wrath of Khan · III: The Search for Spock · IV: The Voyage Home · V: The Final Frontier · VI: The Undiscovered Country