Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- For other uses of "Star Wars", see Star Wars.
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace is a 1999 space opera film. It is the first film of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. The film follows with two Jedi Knights, who flee the planet Naboo with the planet's queen Padme Amidala in the hope of finding a peaceful end to a trade dispute. Along the way, the ship must stop for repairs on the planet Tatooine, where the Jedi encounter Anakin Skywalker, a young slave boy who is unusually strong with the Force. When the group returns to Naboo, they realize that the situation is much worse than they thought — the evil Sith Lords have returned.
- Written and directed by George Lucas.
Opening crawl 
Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute.
Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo.
While the congress of the Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, to settle the conflict....
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: I have a bad feeling about this.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: I don't sense anything.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: It's not about the mission, Master. It's something... elsewhere. Elusive.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: Don't center on your anxieties, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now, where it belongs.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the living Force, young Padawan.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Yes, Master. How do you think this Trade Viceroy will deal with the Chancellor's demands?
- Qui-Gon Jinn: These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short.
- Darth Sidious: What is it?
- Daultay Dofine: [interrupts] This scheme of yours has failed, Lord Sidious. The blockade is finished. We dare not go against the Jedi.
- Sidious: Viceroy, I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again. [Daultay leaves] This turn of events is unfortunate. We must accelerate our plans. Begin landing your troops.
- Nute Gunray: My lord! Is that... legal?
- Sidious: I will make it legal.
- Gunray: And the Jedi?
- Sidious: The Chancellor should never have brought them into this! Kill them immediately!
- Gunray: Yes...yes, my lord. As you wish.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: Do you hear that?
- [a rumbling is heard in the distance]
- Jar Jar Binks: Yeah.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: If and when they find us, they will crush us, grind us into tiny pieces and blast us into oblivion!
- Jar Jar Binks: Hmmm... yousa point is well seen. This way. Hurry!
- Ric Olie: There's not enough power to get us to Coruscant...the hyperdrive is leaking.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: [studying a map] Here, Master. Tatooine. It's small, out of the way, poor... The Trade Federation has no presence there.
- Panaka: How can you be sure?
- Qui-Gon: It's controlled by the Hutts.
- Panaka: [alarmed] You can't take Her Royal Highness there! The Hutts are gangsters! If they discovered her...
- Qui-Gon: ... It would be no different than if we landed on a system controlled by the Federation. Except the Hutts aren't looking for her, which gives us an advantage.
- Darth Sidious: And Queen Amidala...has she signed the treaty?
- Nute Gunray: She has disappeared, my lord. One Naboo cruiser got past the blockade.
- Sidious: [annoyed] Viceroy, find her! I want that treaty signed!
- Gunray: My lord...it's impossible to locate the ship! It's out of our range!
- Sidious: Not for a Sith. [hologram of Darth Maul appears in front of Viceroy Gunray] This is my apprentice, Darth Maul. He will find your lost ship. [holograms of Sidious and Maul fade]
- Gunray: This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them!!
- Rune Haako: We should not have made this bargain.
- Watto: ...Here it is...a T-14 hyperdrive generator!! Thee in luck, I'm the only one hereabouts who has one...but thee might as well buy a new ship. It would be cheaper, I think...Saying of which, how's thee going to pay for all this?
- Qui-Gon: I have 20,000 republic dataries...
- Watto: Republic credits? Republic credits are no use out here. I need something different, something more real...
- Qui-Gon: I don't have anything else, but credits will do fine.
- Watto: No, they won'ta.
- Qui-Gon: Credits will do fine.
- Watto: No, they won'ta! What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks won't work on me; only money. No money! No parts! No deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I promise you that.
- Darth Maul: Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I will find them quickly, Master.
- Darth Sidious: Move against the Jedi first. You will then have no difficulty taking the Queen back to Naboo to sign the treaty.
- Darth Maul: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.
- Darth Sidious: You have been well trained, my young apprentice. They will be no match for you.
- Finis Valorum: The chair recognizes the Senator from the sovereign system of Naboo.
- Palpatine: Supreme Chancellor, delegates of the Senate, a tragedy has occurred... which started right here with the taxation of trade routes... and has now engulfed our entire planet... in the oppression of the Trade Federation.
- Lott Dod: This is outrageous! I object to the senator's statements!
- Valorum: The chair does not recognize the senator from the Trade Federation at this time.
- Palpatine: To state our allegations, I present Queen Amidala, recently elected ruler of the Naboo, who speaks on our behalf.
- Padmé Amidala: Honorable representatives of the Republic, I come to you under the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded by the droid armies of the Trade...
- Dod: I object! There is no proof! This is incredible. We recommend a commission be sent to Naboo to ascertain the truth.
- Valorum: Recommendation denied.
- Dod: Your honor, you cannot condemn us without reasonable observation. It's against all the rules of procedure!
- Senator Teem: The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate from the Trade Federation. A commission must be appointed.
- Valorum: The point...
- Mas Amedda: Excuse me, Chancellor. [whispers to Chancellor Valorum]
- Palpatine: [Whispering to Queen Amidala] Enter the bureaucrats, the true rulers of the Republic. And on the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add. This is where Chancellor Valorum's strength will disappear.
- Valorum: The point is conceded. Section 523A takes precedence here. Queen Amidala of the Naboo, will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?
- Padmé: I will not defer. I've come before you to resolve this attack on our sovereignty now! I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee! If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership.
- [The Senators become outraged by Queen Amidala's decision]
- Mas Amedda: ORDER!!
- Palpatine: Now they will elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor. One who will not let this tragedy continue.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: [dying] It's too late, it's...
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: No!
- Qui-Gon Jinn: Obi-Wan, promise... Promise me you will train the boy.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Yes, master.
- Qui-Gon Jinn: He... is the Chosen One. He... will bring balance... Train him.
- Yoda: Confer on you the level of Jedi Knight, the Council does. But agree with your taking this boy as your Padawan learner, I do not!
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Qui-Gon believed in him.
- Yoda: The Chosen One, the boy may be. Nevertheless, grave danger, I fear in his training.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Master Yoda, I gave Qui-Gon my word. I will train Anakin... without the approval of the Council, if I must.
- Yoda: Qui-Gon's defiance, I sense in you. Need that, you do not. Agree with you, the Council does. Your apprentice, Skywalker will be.
- [After Darth Maul's defeat]
- Mace Windu: There's no doubt. The mysterious warrior was a Sith.
- Yoda: Always two, there are. No more, no less. A master... and an apprentice.
- Mace Windu: But which one was destroyed? The master or the apprentice?
- Every generation has a legend. Every journey has a first step. Every saga has a beginning.
- One Truth, One Hate
- Liam Neeson — Qui-Gon Jinn
- Ewan McGregor — Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Natalie Portman — Queen Padmé Amidala
- Jake Lloyd — Anakin Skywalker
- Frank Oz — Master Yoda (voice)
- Silas Carson - Nute Gunray
- Ian McDiarmid — Senator Palpatine/Darth Sidious
- Ray Park — Darth Maul
- Ahmed Best — Jar Jar Binks (voice)
- Anthony Daniels - C-3PO
- Kenny Baker - R2-D2
- Andy Secombe - Watto (voice)
- Lewis MacLeod - Sebulba (voice)
- Brian Blessed - Boss Nass (voice)
- Keira Knightley - Sabé, Padmé's decoy