I love some of these quotes. I'm going to use them to try to convince my smothering Freecycle mods to back off a little!
Eric Ottawa Freecycle http://tcm.com/ofn/?wikiquote
--188.8.131.52 00:36, 29 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Got myself an id!!! --Egstcm 00:38, 29 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- "Never ignore an advice or a comment before thinking longly whether it is helpful for you." ~ Nguyen Huy Dung
- There is no cramming for the test of life.
- When a man comes to me for advice, I find out the kind of advice he wants, and I give it to him.
- When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it is a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway.
- Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of using it.
- Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have been waiting for centuries for somebody ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing.
- Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
- He who can take advice is sometimes superior to him who can give it.
- When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.
- In giving advice seek to help, not to please, your friend.
- The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.
- No one wants advice - only corroboration.
- Advice is generally much better received when the advisor is entertaining.
- Anonymous from http://advice.com
- Advice after injury is like medicine after death.
- Danish proverb
- A woman's advice is a poor thing, but he is a fool who does not take it.
- Spanish proverb
- Never give advice — a wise man won't need it, a fool won't heed it.
- Good advice is better than bad advice, if you know the difference.
- Support Keeping these two articles apart creates confusion. --Spannerjam (talk) 13:55, 30 January 2014 (UTC)
- Support as they stand. I think there can be a distinction between advising (the act of giving advice) and the advice given, but that is not really a distinction made between these pages as they stand. BD2412 T 15:22, 30 January 2014 (UTC)
- Support Mdd (talk) 01:15, 31 January 2014 (UTC)
- I tagged this for merger because to advise is to give advice: it is the same subject, and quotes should not be categorized by their grammatical characteristics. In general, I believe the titles of theme pages should be nouns, as used in this sentence:
- "These are quotations about <insert noun> ."
- However, regarding BD2412's remark about "the advice given", I do not think it is practical to collect examples of advice under this sort of heading. They should be placed in articles about the subjects on which advice is given. E.g., "Never eat anything bigger than your head" is pretty good advice, but it would belong in an article about Eating. Compare the Discourse article, which contains quotations about discourse, not examples of discourses. Examples of advice would be too broad and amorphous a criterion for a coherent theme article.
Therefore, noting that the quotations in the Advise article are not about advisement in general, but are bits of particular advice or remarks about specific bits of advice, I recommend that we Redirect the title to Advice without merging the contents. ~ Ningauble (talk) 17:27, 31 January 2014 (UTC)
- On closer review of the actual quotes, I agree that very few of them seem to be about either the topic of advice, or the act of advising. These are quotes that just happen to contain the word "advise", and are no more suited to the topic than a page of quotes containing the word "the" on a page title "the". BD2412 T 21:19, 31 January 2014 (UTC)