- Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
- It isn't enough for your heart to break because everybody's heart is broken now.
- My own experience is that a certain kind of genius among students is best brought out in bed.
- Nobody saves America by sniffing cocaine, jiggling your knees blankly in the rain, when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain.
- Poetry is the one place where people can speak their original human mind. It is the outlet for people to say in public what is known in private.
- The only thing that can save the world is the reclaiming of the awareness of the world. That's what poetry does.
- Our goal was to save the planet and alter human consciousness. That will take a long time, if it happens at all.
- Poetry is not an expression of the party line. It's that time of night, lying in bed, thinking what you really think, making the private world public, that's what the poet does.
- Pot is fun.
- Master thyself and others will follow.
- First thought, best thought.
- Referring to his, and other Beat writers' style of writing poetry
- He tells anti Semitic jokes! Think of the doorbell! Think of the air! 4:52 AM
- We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world.
- Attacks on NAMBLA stink of politics, witchhunting for profit, humorlessness, vanity, anger and ignorance.... I'm a member of NAMBLA because I love boys too — everybody does, who has a little humanity
- Once when Kerouac was high on psychedelics with Timothy Leary, he looked out the window and said, 'Walking on water wasn't built in a day.' Our goal was to save the planet and alter human consciousness. That will take a long time, if it happens at all.
- Form is what happens.