- Honest conviction is my courage; the Constitution is my guide.
- I am sworn to uphold the Constitution as Andy Johnson understands it and interprets it.
- If the rabble were lopped off at one end and the aristocrats at the other, all would be well with the country.
- Outside of the Constitution we have no legal authority more than private citizens, and within it we have only so much as that instrument gives us. This broad principle limits all our functions and applies to all subjects.
- Slavery exists. It is black in the South, and white in the North.