- It's sad, misleading, and grossly unfair that Spassky is best known as the guy who lost to Fischer. There was so much more to the man and the player. He simply had the misfortune to be mayor of Tokyo when Godzilla rose from the sea.
- When I am in form, my style is a little bit stubborn, almost brutal. Sometimes I feel a great spirit of fight which drives me on.
- We were like bishops of opposite color.
- On the breakup of his first marriage.
- Which do I prefer? Sex or chess? It depends on the position.
- After I won the title, I was confronted with the real world. People do not behave naturally anymore - hypocrisy is everywhere.
- In my country, at that time, being a champion of chess was like being a King. At that time I was a King … and when you are King you feel a lot of responsibility, but there is nobody there to help you.
- I don’t want ever to be champion again.
- I enjoy life, sometimes with a good bottle of wine! But don't count on me in tournaments that demand a lot of nervous energy, like the French championship. I am empty; these are not for me anymore.