What does this saying mean? "Whitewash on the forehead hardens the brain into a state of obstinacy perhaps."
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Charles Dickens. --Antiquary 18:30, 8 April 2009 (UTC)
- A day wasted on others is not wasted on one's self.
- Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true.
- The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states.
- I do not know the American gentleman, God forgive me for putting two such words together. (1845, in a letter to lady Blessingon) — Andrew Sanders (1999-12-23). Dickens and the spirit of the age. Literary Criticism. Clarendon Press. pp. 155. 
"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate."
This one is certainly making the rounds on the Internet and Facebook. Can anyone find a source? Doesn't sound like Dickens to me. It sounds like something Winnie the Pooh would say about honey. (And in a Disney cartoon at that, not the original Milne.) Anyone?
- It's wrong. It comes from The Printwick Papers (a merchandising Web site), not Dickens' Pickwick Papers, but idiots have been passing it around erroneously for years. See CL4.org for an explanation. 184.108.40.206 22:22, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
India's Sepoy Mutiny 1857 & Dickens' stated desire for Genocide?
- "I wish I were commander-in-chief in India.... I should proclaim to them that I considered my holding that appointment by the leave of God, to mean that I should do my utmost to exterminate the race" - Charles Dickens, written apparently in context of the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 and the brutalities inflicted by the rebels on English women and children
How to verify the authenticity of this quote? 220.127.116.11 08:39, 26 August 2013 (UTC)