I've added a terse introduction to the section on the Doctor himself based on text originally from a Wikiquote article "The Doctor (Doctor Who)" created by 184.108.40.206 on 24 May 2005. — Jeff Q (talk) 15:25, 6 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- 1 Sound clips
- 2 Unquiet Dead Quote
- 3 source of Doctor quotes
- 4 100,000 BC Quotes
- 5 Redirection
- 6 Eighth Doctor quote - genuine?
- 7 Splitting
- 8 Trying to remember a quote
- 9 Punctuation
- 10 Splitting into multiple pages
- 11 To Do List
- 12 Problems
- 13 Unsourced quotes about the programme
- 14 Merging companion articles
- 15 Need for more registration and input by Doctor Who editors — and others.
- 16 alternative fan doctor who
I've just removed some external links to MP3 sound clips added by Jawr256. The problems are two-fold:
- We're a text-based quote project, and have no policy that I'm aware of on including multimedia. (We don't even promote images for articles, although some do have them.)
- MediaWiki projects (especially Wikipedia) and the projects' developers are extremely hostile to MP3s because of their proprietary license requirements, which are felt to be incompatible with the GFDL under which MW projects (including Wikiquote) operate.
This is one of many cases of logically "pushing the envelope" of Wikiquote practices. I'm being the old, protective stick-in-the-mud, but I invite folks who would like to see (or rather hear) sound clips for quotes to bring this up on the village pump. (I think the Daleks' "EX-TER-MI-NATE!" is an excellent test case of the utility of sound clips.) We've got plenty of other growth pains we're dealing with right now; what's one more? But I caution that this issue may take quite a while to address, given the legal issue. — Jeff Q (talk) 07:11, 10 Jun 2005 (UTC)
Unquiet Dead Quote
I've got most of this convasation between Chris and Simon - if someone could just patch it up, as it's one of the classic moments of the new series.
source of Doctor quotes
If I didn't know better, i'd swear someone just copied the Dialogue Triumphs sections from the "Discontinuity Guide"
100,000 BC Quotes
I saw some time ago the title for the first Doctor Who story bieng 100,000 BC, now it's An Unearthly Child - I like the second one best. But the Wikiquote is still 100,000 BC!
When people search 'Dalek' they get 'The Doctor' on Wikiquote.
Eighth Doctor quote - genuine?
I'm not sure the "Guardian of Light and Time" quote from the Eighth Doctor is genuine. Certainly it wasn't used in the actual TV movie, though perhaps it could be found in the shooting script or the novelization. It sounds more like something from one of the other novels, though. [I don't have a WikiQuote ID, but on Wikipedia I'm... Histrion]
Re - "Guardian of Light in Time" was an expression used only by the Fourth Doctor in the "Key to Time" series, and by the Fifth Doctor in the story "Enlightenment".
This page needs to be split as it is very long and growing. I'm proposing that we leave this page as a sort of contents and create:
- The Doctor (Doctor Who)
- Doctor Who conversation
- Other Doctor Who characters
(The latter will include the "companions", "adversaries"/"enemies" and "other characters" sections.
Please give your comments by 08:00 UTC on Thursday 25th August as that is when I will split the page
Jawr256 07:07, 31 July 2005 (UTC)
- The Doctor (Doctor Who)
- Supporting Characters (Doctor Who)
- Conversations (Doctor Who)
(As you mentioned, Supporting Characters would of course include sections for "companions", "adversaries" or "enemies" and "other characters".)
A similar scheme could also be used on other pages as they grew too large.
Trying to remember a quote
I remember a conversation between the Fourth Doctor and Romana concerning her name in The Ribos Operation. I know they were kind of tossing up between Romana and Fred (I think she wanted Fred, he wanted to call her Romana). Does anyone know the full quote? --Jb-adder | Talk
The internet says:
R:"What about my name?"
D:"It's too long... by the time I've called out "Look out Romanadv... what's your name again?"
D:"By the time I've called that out you could be dead! I'll call you Romana"
R:"I don't like Romana!"
D:"It's either Romana or Fred!"
R:"All right call me Fred!"
D:"Good! Come along Romana!"
Which meshes with my own memory of the conversation.
- Thanks. I actually went and found a clip of that conversation, so I've transcribed (if that's the word) the convo onto the quotes page. --Jb-adder | Talk
Whoever wrote the quotes on the ninth Doctor had an abysmal sense of punctuation; Someone needs to get in there with a truckload of commas and scatter them pretty thoroughly. If I find the time one of the next days I'll do it. Kamagurka
Also, if people are adding in quotes, please say the full context of what's happened (for example, someone said a quote from 'the Doctor having a really good time'. I mean, when isn't the Doctor having a really good time?) and, if it's a conversation, who said what. And please research the quote a wee bit so that everything is known about it. And if you vaguely remember the quote, don't add it, it just involves more cleanup. :/ Irrevilent 01:33, 9 May 2006 (UTC)
Splitting into multiple pages
Okay, since the first proposed splitting didn't take place, how about this: a seperate page for each Doctor? The changes from Doctor to Doctor are great enough that each Doctor could be considered a seperate show, so it should be simple emough to split the article along those lines. I don't know how often this site gets checked, but if I don't hear any objections by June 17, I'll split along those lines. --Kerowyn 05:11, 10 June 2006 (UTC)
- I like that idea. It'll also help me resist peeking at the 10th Doctor quotes while waiting for Series 2 to come over to the US. Trad Redav 23:33, 11 June 2006 (UTC)
- Sounds good to me. --Joseph Q Publique 01:26, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
I don't like the idea. It's a quotes page for the programme and that's how it should be, it's not like it's a huge amount and it's well structured enough. Instead, effort should be focused on correcting spelling, grammar and punctuation in quotes already there and reorder them in chronological order of serial and when they're said. Once that's done, they don't have to be split, it just makes it more confusing. Irrevilent 19:04, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
- Well, I find the current structure confusing since quotes from the same episode can wind up in one of three different sections.At the very least it should be consolidated by Doctor. But the file size is huge. People generally know which Doctor they're looking for, so I don't think having ten different pages will create any confusion. Just leave this page as a disambiguation page to the 10 subpages. --Kerowyn 02:54, 13 June 2006 (UTC)
It's my first visit to the Wikiquote section and I think it definitely needs splitting up. Even with the contents links to various parts of the page, it is overly long. It does not look neat - it looks like an amateurish, (which is a bit pot-call-the-kettle-black coming from me, a relative beginner), long list and does it not make reading it easy. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, it is not meant to, I just think it would look better split up. I agree with the point about leaving this as a contents page, by the way. -- User:Finallycreatedaccount 04:06, 17 June 2006
- I've also got an idea to port the table from the Firefly page and use it as an organizational template, but that might prove to be beyond my abilities. Kerowyn 19:51, 29 June 2006 (UTC)
To Do List
The split is complete and I'm working on formatting issues on all 10 pages. The major issue now is organizing the quotes by season. This shouldn't be too hard to do, since you can get the info from Wikipedia, but I was hoping someone else would take care of this, since I can only do so much. =) Also the quotes left on the main central page need to be placed with their respective episodes, although the quotes regarding the show itself can be left on the central page. Thanks! --Kerowyn 05:33, 3 July 2006 (UTC)
Where did the Daleks link go?
- OH MY GOD!!!!!! SOMEONE HAS DELETED THE WHOLE DALEK PAGE!!!!!!!!! WHO THE HELL DID THIS!!!! I DEMAND TO KNOW!!!!!!!
- A vandal. STUPID VANDALS! I hate them. Maybe even some a**holes from my school (they always diss Doctor Who!)
- People at my school say things about the Doctor you don't want to hear.
- I blame the Cybermen.
Unsourced quotes about the programme
- These should be provided with sources before being moved back into the article.
- I thought he was full of heart. Full of warmth. I thought he was charismatic, funny, gentle and, and, and there were certain moments in that, that were some of the best moments of Doctor Who ever made.
- Russell T. Davies, Executive Producer and writer, on The TV movie featuring the 8th Doctor.
- The fact is the Time Lords did start it, all the way back in Genesis of the Daleks.
- Russell T. Davies, on the Time War
- Although Rose doesn't know what this "cockney" dude has to do with the sudden rash of killer mannequins.
- American TV Guide on the plainly Northern Doctor played by Christopher Eccleston.
Merging companion articles
In keeping with the general idea of Wikiquote:Fictional characters, I suggest merging articles on the doctor's companions/sidekicks (Rose Tyler, Jack Harkness, Donna Noble, Martha Jones, River Song, Amy Pond, & Rory Williams) into the articles on the quoted works, i.e. the Nth Doctor articles. ~ Ningauble 19:29, 17 May 2011 (UTC)
- In keeping with a sense of NEED of a repudiation of the general idea of the DRAFT policy of Wikiquote:Fictional characters I propose that it actually be VOTED upon within the next couple of months — and to a great extent REJECTED — as an example of the type of OVERLY restrictive and exclusionist policies that have been crafted by increasingly presumptuous cliques which I believe have been driving people away from being contributors on this and other wikimedia wikis — far more than the random ridiculous and contemptible acts of vandalism which they might encounter have. I would also propose that the existing Wikiquote:Limits on quotations policy page, which I consider ridiculous and contemptibly overly restrictive ALSO be addressed. I would propose at LEAST a MONTH for people to provide arguments on the issues and perhaps alternative drafts PRIOR to VOTING — and then a period of at least a MONTH for the voting itself. ~ Kalki (talk · contributions) 21:11, 17 May 2011 (UTC)
I suggest that Jack Harkness should be kept as his own page, since he is more than just a companion, and is mainly the main character of another show, and while that show is a spinoff of Doctor Who, could very well be counted as enough self-standing for it to count Jack Harkness as more than just a companion of the Doctor.
- Some have previously proposed exceptions to Wikiquote:Limits on quotations for Doctor Who — or their own particular favorite shows. I do not agree with such narrow focus, but agree the currently policy is overly restrictive and overly rigorous and mistaken in many of its presumptions. I encourage anyone who wishes to see more quotes available on this page and pages for all television shows and movies, and to have the rules expressed in terms of general and malleable guidelines rather than rigorous mandated limitations, to register an account name here as soon as possible, so as to become elligible for voting on this and future issues. ~ Kalki (talk · contributions) 05:47, 18 May 2011 (UTC)
- I support this idea as commented on in the Village Pump. Thenub314 15:49, 18 May 2011 (UTC)
Need for more registration and input by Doctor Who editors — and others.
I encourage many of the people who have edited here, or at other pages, whether related to Doctor Who or not, to register a username so as to more effectively voice opinions and to be able to vote in major issues that occur on the wiki in the months and years to come.
At the Village Pump I raised the issue of a need to expand potentials and lessen restrictions on this and other pages. I believe that there is need for extensive discussion and eventually a vote on this matter, within a few months.
I intend to gradually do extensive work on the Doctor Who pages in coming months — adding airdates and links, and doing minor cleanup work. I don't plan to actually add many quotes to the articles initally, but eventually might do so, as I review past episodes of the series in the coming year. I encourage anyone interested in developing the Doctor Who pages more extensively to register a user account here, so as to have more effective influence on policy decisions which need to be confronted in coming months regarding existing guidelines and limitations that have been promoted regarding quotes from TV shows and films, including those of Doctor Who. ~ Kalki (talk · contributions) 06:48, 31 May 2011 (UTC)
alternative fan doctor who
yes i have been looking at the wikia doctor who quotes and i want to add my ownn using Rowan Atkinson and Babarba Benedetti alternative doctor who quotes by these two other doctor's