It appears that the anesthetic quote is actually much older: Booker T Washington most likely wrote it before Bellamy Brooks or Frank Leahy quoted him. (I have no concrete source for that either, though)
- Egotism is the anesthetic given by a kindly nature to relieve the pain of being a damn fool.
- When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his accusations of himself are always believed, his praises never.
- Be your character what it will, it will be known; and nobody will take it upon your word.
- We would rather speak ill of ourselves than not to talk of ourselves at all.
- The more you speak of yourself, the more you are likely to lie.
- What hypocrites we seem to be whenever we talk of ourselves! Our words sound so humble, while our hearts are so proud.
- The more anyone speaks of himself, the less he likes to hear another talked of.
- Do you wish men to speak well of you? Then never speak well of yourself.
- He who thinks he can find in himself the means of doing without others is much mistaken; but he who thinks that others cannot do without him is still more mistaken.
- Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pains of stupidity.