Talk:Henry Steele Commager
- "Men in authority will always think that criticism of their policies is dangerous. They will always equate their policies with patriotism, and find criticism subversive."
- "If our democracy is to flourish, it must have criticism; if our government is to function it must have dissent."
- "Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress implacably requires change. Education is essential to change, for education creates both new wants and the ability to satisfy them."
- "Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion."
- Henry S. Commager said that the US Constitution was the best chance for political freedom, calling it a "perfect blueprint."