There has been a merger tag on this article for a while, and the merger discussion link does not even bring you to a page that discusses a merger with this article (it discusses other star trek related articles). I am going to be bold and remove the tag, and if someone want's to start a conversation about it... they can do so and put the tag back up. Teamcoltra 04:49, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
Moved to talk page = improperly formatted and arranged
improperly formatted and arranged
- This section needs further formatting cleanup, sourcing and arrangement by episode
- This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation
- Picard identifying himself to the disconnected Borg Hugh.
- Picard: "If the cause is just and honourable, they are prepared to give their lives. Are you?"
- Tomalok: "Really Picard, I expected more from you than an idle threat!"
- Picard: "Then you shall have it!"
-Picard in a face off with Romulan Captain Tomalok.
- You know, there are some words I’ve known since I was a schoolboy: “With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.” Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom and warning. The first time any man’s freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged. - quoting Aaron Satie in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead"
- Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloak themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged [...] waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness.'Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead"
- "Starfleet officers do not always have the luxury of serving in an ideal enviroment" (Star Trek Deep Space Nine Emissary Part One)
- "I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us."
- Picard to Riker after being assimilated by the Borg in "The Best of Both Worlds".
- "They took everything I was! They used me to kill ... and to destroy. And I couldn't stop them! I should've been able to stop them. I tried so hard!"
Robert Picard: "So my brother is a human being after all. This will be with you a long time, Jean-Luc. A long time."
- Picard's tearful confession to his brother Robert in "Family".
- Q: "It's an unknown – isn't that enough?"
Picard: "If you'd earned that uniform you're wearing, you'd know it's the unknown that brings us out here!"
- "Encounter at Farpoint"
- Picard's final retort to Madred after being released from Cardassian captivity in "Chain of Command: Part II", asserting that he could not be subjugated.
- "One thing is clear: you'll never look at your hairline the same way again."
- Picard to Jason Vigo, his supposed newly-found son, in "Bloodlines".
- "Dr. Fesbinder gave an hour long dissertation on the ionization of warp nacelles before he realized that the topic was supposed to be psychology."
La Forge: "Why didn't anybody tell him?" Picard: "There was no opportunity. There was no pause. He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence, moving from topic to topic, so that no one had a chance to interrupt; it was really quite hypnotic."
- A humorous scene in "Timescape".
- "Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk."
- Picard relating the concept of co-operation, using an ancient Earth legend, to an alien whose culture communicates entirely with metaphors, in "Darmok".
- "Shut up, Wesley!"
- Picard in "Datalore".
- "On the starship Enterprise, no one is alone. No one."
- Picard, comforting a newly-orphaned child, "The Bonding"
- "You have the bridge ... Mr. Troi."
- Picard to Riker, just after his marriage to Troi is interrupted by a Starfleet mission, in Star Trek: Nemesis.
- Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. - Various (often said near a replicator).
- Engage! - Various
- Maximum Warp! - Various
- To each his own, number one - TNG Season 3 Episode 19: Captain's Holiday
- "Remembrance and regrets they too are a part of friendship and understanding that has brought you a step closer to understanding humanity" - to Data at the end of Pen Pals Season 2
- Lily Sloane: Jean Luc! Blow up the damn ship!!
- Picard: NO! NOOOOOOO!!! *smashes a display case with a rifle in anger*
- Picard: "I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!
- -Picard on the Borg in Star Trek: First Contact, when he realised that the only way to destroy the borg was to self-destruct the Enterprise. (A near-identical quote was said by Quark in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode: The Dogs of War.)
- "You can commit no mistake and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." - Jean-Luc Picard comforting Data when he lost a game of strategamo to an alien.
- "Well I don't give a damn about your past because your past is my future, and as far as I'm concerned it hasn't been written yet." - Picard to a time-travelling conman
Update, improvements to this quote page
- Update: In response to the comments by those advocating to "delete" the page at VFD, I have made some significant improvements to the article diff :
- I moved the subsection titled: "improperly formatted and arranged", to the talk page, so it can be cleaned up over time and hopefully moved back to the main quote page.
- I read through the comments at the VFD, and realized the main issue commented upon was that this "character page" lacked quotes about the character.
- I performed research, and found that yes, indeed, it was quite easy to find quotes about the character of noteworthy quotability, in reliable secondary sources.
- I added ten (10) sourced quotes about the character, in a new subsection added to the article.
- I did some minor formatting, making sure that the image in the article had a properly sourced quote.
This article was nominated for deletion; the result of the discussion at Wikiquote:Votes for deletion/Jean-Luc Picard was that it was kept due to the improvements made to the page during the course of the discussion. BD2412 T 17:06, 31 December 2011 (UTC)