Quotes should be removed or reclassified if they are inaccurate, or if they pass a consensus polling for non-notability, they should not be removed merely because someone doesn't like their POV. I have twice restored a quote by Cash about George W. Bush; I didn't originally add this quote, I sourced it after seeing a POV removal of a valid quote; in seeking a source I found mention that he got along with most presidents from Nixon on, but seemed to have no high regard for either Clinton or Bush. If I had come across a quote by Cash specifically mentioning his disregard for Clinton I probably would have added it as well.
The remover states Cash wasn't known as a political activist and yet seems highly reactive to this rather tactful statement of dissapproval of Bush, while acceptive of far more vehement dissapproval of the Ku Klux Klan, in an unsourced quote. I might do further sourcing of quotes by Cash in coming weeks because some of them seem interesting, but I am not doing so because of any pro-Bush, anti-Bush, pro-Clinton or anti-Clinton agenda. ~ Shadow 20:38, 12 August 2006 (UTC)
- A snide comment about a political figure is hardly noteworthy for Johnny Cash. While he has made political statements, the ones that I believe are of import were the ones about improving prison circumstances in his conversation with Nixon. If a famous star makes a comment about picking his nose, you wouldn't put it here, unless it were a common comment or part of their act. Nor should an off-the-cuff comment about a political figure be put here unless it is relevant in the larger scheme of things. Including quotes that do not illustrate the person's primary area of note or talents can be used to push your own POV by including otherwise obscure material. Nearly everyone says things that are not indicative of their greater work. If you feel that Cash had a problem with all political figures (I think this is a valid and relevant point), a sampling of all of those political quotes might be useful, but one quote about a single political figure does not qualify to open the article about a famous musician such as Johnny Cash, does it? DavidBailey 18:47, 13 August 2006 (UTC)
why are there no quotes from the songs?
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Johnny Cash.
- A person knows when it just seems to feel right to them. Listen to your heart.
- Children, all your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate... I choose love.
- Compassion is something I have a lot of, because I've been through a lot of pain in my life. Anybody who has suffered a lot of pain has a lot of compassion.
- Country radio doesn't program hardly anybody over 40. Country music is about tradition. And they're losing that tradition. In my mind, anyway.
- Every possession is just another stick to beat yourself with.
- How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell. There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man.
- I am not a Christian artist, I am an artist who is a Christian.
- I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain.
- I have a new album out. It's American Recordings, it was done with an American Recording company, and was recorded in America.
- I haven't had any particular direction in my music. I just do it the way I feel it at the time.
- I just want to be remembered as a good daddy.
- I learn from my mistakes. It's a very painful way to learn, but without pain, the old saying is, there's no gain.
- I never did understand the resentment about Country artists "going pop". Either you've got what it takes to appeal to a whole lot of people, or you don't.
- I wouldn't let anybody influence me into thinking I was doing the wrong thing by singing about death, hell and drugs. Because I've always done that, and I always will.
- If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all.
- If you don't get outside every day, even for a minute, you have not appreciated what God has done. It makes you grateful for our surroundings, and it starts your day differently.
- It makes me so mad that some people underestimate the wisdom and energy of young people. All because they don't look the way older folks think they should look. I'm working on a song about it. Maybe some of those closed minded people will realise long hair and tattoos don't mean they should be ignored. Close minded people are part of what's wrong with this world.
- It's good to know who hates you, and it's good to be hated by the right people. The Klan is despicable, filthy, dirty, unkind. It's a shame sometimes that we have all these freedoms, 'cause freedom allows them to exist. I'd love to see them all thrown in prison.
- My Mama always said she wanted her roses while she was living... not after she was gone. That's why everyone should always honour their mother and father. No matter how much you may disagree with their beliefs, those that have lived longer than us always have something to teach us, that we can take with us for the rest of our lives.
- Some of the old songs I sing often, because they help me to reflect on where I've been and that's important for me to do — so I don't lose track of where I am going.
- Success is having to worry about every damn thing in the world, except money.
- The best way to say anything is just to say it.
- The Master of Life's been good to me. He has given me strength to face past illnesses, and victory in the face of defeat. He has given me life and joy where others saw oblivion. He has given new purposes to live for. New services to render and old wounds to heal. Life and love go on. Let the music play.
- What I resent is the attempt at defamation of character, and the attempt to make my children ashamed they were born. If there's a mongrel in the crowd, it's me, because I'm Scottish and one-quarter Cherokee Indian.
- When God forgave me, I figured I'd better do it too.
- You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone; close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space. If you analyse it as you're moving forward, you'll never fall in the same trap twice, which I can't say that I haven't been guilty of doing. But my advice is, if they're going to break your legs once when you go in that place, stay out of there.
- You've got a song you're singing from your gut, you want that audience to feel it in their gut. And you've got to make them think that you're one of them sitting out there with them too. They've got to be able to relate to what you're doing.
- You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way.
Quotes about Johnny Cash 
- There are two kinds of people, there's those who like Johnny Cash, and those that will.
- Every man knows that he is a sissy compared to Johnny Cash.
- Johnny was and is the North Star; you could guide your ship by him. The greatest of the greats - then and now.
- His face should be on Mount Rushmore as far as I'm concerned
- Kid Rock