Talk:Joyce Carol Oates
The following were on the article page and need sources. Tyrenius 22:31, 1 May 2007 (UTC)
- Homo sapiens is the species that invents symbols in which to invest passion and authority, then forgets that symbols are inventions.
- I come from people who did not go to college. They didn't even finish high school. People who one might call ordinary Americans who are very hard-working.
- I'm drawn to failure. I feel that I'm contending with it constantly in my own life.
- In love there are two things - bodies and words.
- Life and people are complex. A writer as an artist doesn't have the personality of a politician. We don't see the world that simply.
- Night comes to the desert all at once, as if someone turned off the light.
- Our house is made of glass... and our lives are made of glass; and there is nothing we can do to protect ourselves.
- Study until twenty five, investigate until forty, profession until sixty, at which age I would have him retired on a double allowance.
- The great menace to the life of an industry is industrial self-complacency.
- We are linked by blood, and blood is memory without language.
- What I aspired to be and was not, comforts me.
- Where we come from in America no longer signifies. It's where we go, and what we do when we get there, that tells us who we are.