- "The past is utterly indifferent to its worshipers."
- "Not to know what happened before we were born is always to remain a child; to know, and blindly to adopt that knowledge as an implicit rule of life, is never to be a man."
- "No hand can make the clock strike for me the hours that are passed."
- "The present is only intelligible in the light of the past."
- "Study the past if you would divine the future."
- "The best of prophets of the future is the past."
- "Many classes are always praising the by-gone time, for it is natural that the old should extol the days of their youth; the weak, the area of their strength; the sick, the season of their vigor; and the disappointed, the springtide of their hopes!"
- "Some are so very studious of learning what was done by the ancients that they know not how to live with the moderns."
- "Do not attempt to change the past, but instead, seek to make the future"
- "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."
- "The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it isn't here."
- Finley Peter Dunne (Mr Dooley).
- "We are tomorrow's past."
- "The past isn't often the picnic we remember it to have been."
- "One only remembers part of the past. Truth is always changing, especially when it is related to the past."
- Derek Tangye, British author. From his autobiography, The Way to Minak (1968), Ch. XVI, p. 166.