- All poets are superior/ To 'Rithmetic's best guys./ They work with all the Alphabet/ Not just the 'X' and 'y'
- Poetry is this screaming madwoman. Everything seems poetry. Madmen gaze high. Everything seems madness. Madmen fear no moon, fear no fire. Burns of flesh are poetry. Madmen's wounds are poetry. The witch's crime was poetry. Magic knew how to find its poetry. The star wasn't poetry before the madwoman discovered it.
- To cut the Gordian knot is not the same as to untie it. Children and lunatics cut what the poet patiently spends his life in trying to untie.
- I think one of poetry's functions is not to give us what we want... [T]he poet isn't always of use to the tribe. The tribe thrives on the consensual. The tribe is pulling together to face the intruder who threatens it. Meanwhile, the poet is sitting by himself in the graveyard talking to a skull.
- Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
- Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful.
- Honesty is the best poetry.
- Poetry is plucking at the heartstrings, and making music with them.
- Poetry is the best of any language.
- Poetry is the one place where people can speak their original human mind. It is the outlet for people to say in public what is known in private.
- The poet doesn't invent. He listens.
- You will find poetry nowhere unless you bring some of it with you.