- Prosperity is very liable to bring pride among the other goods with which it endows an individual; it is then that prosperity costs too dear.
- It is one of the worst effects of prosperity to make a man a vortex, instead of a fountain; so that, instead of throwing out, he learns only to draw in.
- Watch lest prosperity destroy generosity.
- The increase of a great number of citizens in prosperity is a necessary element to the security, and even to the existence, of a civilized people.
- He that swells in prosperity will be sure to shrink in adversity.
- Prosperity demands of us more prudence and moderation than adversity.
- Prosperity, in regard of our corrupt inclination to abuse the blessings of Almighty God, doth prove a thing dangerous to the soul of man.
- We must distinguish between felicity and prosperity; for prosperity leads often to ambition, and ambition to disappointment.
- They who lie soft and warm in a rich estate seldom come to heat themselves at the altar.
- Prosperity is the touchstone of virtue; for it is less difficult to bear misfortunes than to remain uncorrupted by pleasure.
- Few of us can stand prosperity. Another man's, I mean.
- Take care to be an economist in prosperity: there is no fear of your being one in adversity.