Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Wassily Kandinsky. --Antiquary 19:12, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
- Art, like love, has a fine detail to it. You need to know exactly what is going on.
- What is right artistically can only be attained through feeling.
- My predilection for what is hidden,for the mysterious,saved me from the unhappy influence of popular art.
- Art has much in common with religion.
- Both of us loved blue, Franz Marc horses, I riders. Hence the name Der Blaue Reiter.(The Blue Rider)
- Just because an artist uses 'abstract methods' ,it does not mean he is an 'abstract' artist.It does not even mean he is an artist.
- A work of art consists of two elements,the inner and outer. The inner is the emotion in the soul of the artist.. ..it has the capacity to evoke similar emotions in the observer.. ..it must exist otherwise the work of art is a sham.
- There is no must in art because art is free.
- The purpose of my book concerning the 'Spiritual in Art' and 'Der Blaue Reiter was to awaken the ability to experience the spiritual in material and abstract things..the desire to bring out this joyful ability in people who don't have it..it was the main purpose of both publications.
- The medieval pictures I painted were inspired by the impressions of old Schwabing.
- Let the viewer stroll around within the picture,to force him to forget himself and so to become a part of the picture.
- I more or less dissolved the objects(in my improvisations) so that not all of them could be recognised at once,so that the spiritual overtones could be gradually experienced by the viewer one after the other...and here and there even purely abstract forms came in of their own accord,in other words,that had to have a purely painterly effect.
- As has been said.. ..it is impossible to make clear the aims of a work of art by means of words.
- I only want to paint good,necessary,living pictures,which are experienced properly by at least a few viewers.
- I saw all my colours in spirit.Wild,almost mad lines drew themselves in front of me. (On seeing Wagner's Lohengrin)
- Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the hammer, the soul is the piano with the strings. (Comparing Painting and Music)
- Humanity is like a triangle, with a lone visionary at the apex.
- The human tendency toward the fossilizing of form is shocking,even tragic. Yesterday the man who exhibited a new form was condemned.Today the same form has become immovable law for all time. This is tragic because it shoes over and over again that human beings depend on externals. Wassily Kandinsky