The Absent-Minded Professor
The Absent-Minded Professor is a 1961 black-and-white Walt Disney Productions film based on the short story A Situation of Gravity, by Samuel W. Taylor. The title character was based in part on Hubert Alyea, a professor emeritus of chemistry at Princeton University, who was known as "Dr. Boom" for his explosive demonstrations.
- Prof. Ned Brainard: Let's see, flying rubber... Flubber!
- Prof. Ned Brainard: Corners beautifully, doesn't it?
- Prof. Ned Brainard: I'm an American! See it? My credit cards!
- First Referee: There's nothing in the rule book that says one team can't jump higher than the other.
- Biff Hawk: Oh, it's just Neddy the Nut out flying his old Model T.
- Prof. Ned Brainard: Sustance X, we dub thee... Flubber!
- Prof. Ned Brainard: Mr. Hawk, let me get this straight. You want me to turn my discovery over to you so you can blackmail our government?
[the fire crew has arrived to rescue Alonzo Hawk, who is now bouncing out of control]
- Fire Chief: [shouting through megaphone] Mr. Hawk! This is the Fire Chief speaking! We'll have everything under control in just a moment. Now Mr. Hawk, try to relax.
- Alonzo J. Hawk: Relax? How can I relax, you fat-head?
[the fire crew's net had been accidentally broken by Alonzo Hawk during their attempt to rescue him]
- Fireman: I told you we needed a new one.
- Fire Chief: You told me? What do you think I've been telling the town council? How am I supposed to buy a new net without an apppropiation?
- Fireman: Well, don't get hot. I only mentioned it.
- Fire Chief: Well, you just keep the kinks out of the fire hose. That's all I want from you. I'm the Chief!
[Prof. Brainard has repeatedly slammed his Flubberized Model T down of Prof. Ashton's car roof while in motion, causing to go out of control and crash into a police car]
- Prof. Shelby Ashton: [as he and the two officers get out of their crashed cars] Officer! Help me! It's after me! Helpe me!
- Officer Hanson: I do hope that you will excuse my appearance, but I was just having a cup of *boiling hot coffee*.
- Prof. Shelby Ashton: But it's after me!
- Officer Hanson: What's after you?
- Prof. Shelby Ashton: I don't know, some kind of a... thing!
- Officer Hanson: A thing? Can you describe it?
- Prof. Shelby Ashton: I don't know. I didn't see it. But it flies. And it made a noise, like, uh, "Aaa-OOO-gah! Aaa-OOO-gah!" And then it banged down on the top of my car! BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! And when I looked, there wasn't anything there.
- Officer Hanson: Oh, that kind of a thing.
- Fred MacMurray as Professor Ned Brainard
- Nancy Olson as Betsy Carlisle
- Keenan Wynn as Alonzo P. Hawk
- Tommy Kirk as Biff Hawk
- Leon Ames as President Jeffrey Daggett
- Elliott Reid as Professor Shelby Ashton
- Edward Andrews as Defense Secretary
- David Lewis as General Singer
- Jack Mullaney as Air Force Captain
- Belle Montrose as Mrs. Chatsworth
- Wally Brown as Coach Elkins
- Wally Boag as TV Newsman
- Don Ross as Lenny
- Forest Lewis as Officer Kelley
- James Westerfield as Officer Hanson
- Gage Clarke as Reverend Bosworth
- Alan Hewitt as General Hotchkiss
- Raymond Bailey as Admirial Olmstead
- Ed Wynn as Fire Chief