The Adventures of Robin Hood (film)
The Adventures of Robin Hood is a 1938 film about Prince John and the Norman Lords who begin oppressing the Saxon masses in King Richard's absence, and a Saxon lord who fights back as the outlaw leader of a rebel guerrilla army.
- Directed by Michael Curtiz and William Keighley. Written by Norman Reilly Raine and Seton I. Miller.
Sir Robin of Locksley
- [to Prince John, about Marian] What a pity her manners don't match her looks, Your Highness.
- I've called you here as freeborn Englishmen, loyal to our king. While he reigned over us, we lived in peace. But since Prince John has seized the regency, Guy of Gisbourne and the rest of his traitors have murdered and pillaged. You've all suffered from their cruelty - the ear loppings, the beatings, the blindings with hot irons, the burning of our farms and homes, the mistreatment of our women. It's time to put an end to this! Now, this forest is wide. It can shelter and clothe and feed a band of good, determined men - good swordsmen, good archers, good fighters. Men, if you're willing to fight for our people, I want you! Are you with me?
- Sir Guy of Gisbourne: You're very charming, Lady Marian, but not exactly clever.
- Will Scarlett: [about Friar Tuck] One of us? He looks like three of us.
- Prince John: Bring Sir Robin food! At once, do you hear? Such impudence must support a mighty appetite.
- Robin: True enough, your Highness. We Saxons have little to fatten on by the time your tax gatherers are through.
- Prince John: Do you feel you are overtaxed?
- Robin: Overtaxed, overworked and paid off with a knife, a club or a rope.
- Marian: Why, you speak treason!
- Robin: Fluently.
- Robin: I'll organize a revolt, exact a death for a death, and I'll never rest until every Saxon in this shire can stand up free men, and strike a blow for Richard and England.
- Prince John: Have you finished?
- Robin: I'm only just beginning!
- Little John: He's well named Friar Tuck. It would take half the deer in Sherwood Forest to fill that cabin.
- Tuck: And twice that to fill your empty head!
- Marian: But you've taken Norman lives.
- Robin: Yes, those that deserved it, cruel and unjust.
- Marian: You're a strange man.
- Robin: Strange? Because I can feel for beaten, helpless people?
- Marian: No. You're strange because you want to do something about it. You're willing to defy Sir Guy, even Prince John himself, to risk your own life. And one of those men was a Norman!
- Robin: Norman or Saxon, what's that matter? It's injustice I hate, not the Normans.
- Marian: But it's lost you your rank, your lands. It's made you a hunted outlaw when you might have lived in comfort and security. What's your reward for all this?
- Robin: Reward? You just don't understand, do you?
- Marian: I'm sorry. I do begin to see... a little... now.
- Robin: You do? Then that's reward enough.
- King Richard: Kneel, Robin Hood. Arise Baron of Locksley, Earl of Sherwood and Nottingham, and Lord of all the lands and manors appertaining thereto. My first command to you, my Lord Earl, is to take in marriage the hand of the Lady Marian. What say you to that, Baron of Locksley?
- Robin: May I obey all your commands with equal pleasure, Sire!
- Only the rainbow can duplicate its brilliance!
- Excitement...Danger...Suspense...as this classic adventure story sweeps across the screen!
- Errol Flynn - Sir Robin of Locksley (Robin Hood)
- Olivia de Havilland - Lady Marian Fitzwalter (Maid Marian)
- Basil Rathbone - Sir Guy of Gisbourne
- Claude Rains - Prince John
- Patric Knowles - Will Scarlett
- Eugene Pallette - Friar Tuck
- Alan Hale - Little John
- Melville Cooper - High Sheriff of Nottingham
- Ian Hunter - King Richard the Lion Heart
- Una O'Connor - Bess
- Herbert Mundin - Much-the-Miller's-Son
- Montagu Love - Bishop of the Black Canons
- Leonard Willey - Sir Essex
- Robert Noble - Sir Ralf
- Kenneth Hunter - Sir Mortimer